BCS - worth joining?

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by damo101, Jan 1, 2008.

1. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

happy new year folks,

thinking about joining the british computer society and was wondering if anyone else is a member or can recommend it?

Cheers, and all the best in 2008

Damo

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Use the search facility here - this has come up at least once before.

There seem to be different views about how useful joining BCS is!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, like Harry said

I'm a member (MBCS) and I would recommend them. But that's because:

1. First and foremost, I support the idea of turning the IT Profession into a proper recognised profession like surveying, nursing, teaching, etc
    2. Stopping "cowboys", or trying to.
    3. I'm aiming for Chartered status.
    4. I actually use some of the tools that the BCS provide, eg career builder, online books, etc.
    5. I actually find some of their services appealing and may need them in unfortunate circumstances in the future - eg. legal aid

Saying that membership into any Professional organisations (eg BCS, IET, Comptia ITPro, etc) isn't for everyone. The only advice I can say is that if it will benefit you join up, if it will not benefit you don't.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm considering membership.

I've been having chats with Martin recently about professional organisation membership, as he is pursuing his MIET membership and becoming an IENG.

If the BCS shows to be anything like the IET, it will allow good acess to seminars, tutorials, networking and various other benefits that probably wouldn't otherwise be available.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would have joined the IET as they also offer charter status (CEng & IEng), however as my degree isn't accredited by the ECUK and I work in an IT environment and not an engineering one. It would have been less benefical for me to join them instead of the BCS.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies, I'll check it some more and see how much benefit it'll be

Thanks again

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design