BCS - What it did for me in the year I was a member

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by SimonD, Aug 4, 2011.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

... actually, all it did for me was fill up my inbox. I see no reason to spend £100 per year of my own money and decided this year to not bother renewing my membership, unfortunately several months after my membership lapsed I am still getting emails from them but hey ho, that's what mailbox rules are for isn't it?

I know some people really like the BCS but... and the is me speaking personally, I really didn't find any benefit to having the membership. If someone obviously wants to educate me to what I am missing from the BCS then please do so but as I mentioned I have spent the last 12 months being a member and haven't felt the need or desire to for more. It's not helped me in my career (guys at the office are like, what?, who? when I mentioned the BCS) and it hasn't been any help with certifications so what exactly have I been missing (and as far as meetings go, I spend between 5 - 6 hours a day on a train so there is no chance of actually getting to any).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I know what you mean about the emails, all I did was inquire and now get emails from them all the time!

I think one of the big things about BCS is the meetings and networking side of things but as you have to commute to Colchester everyday kind of takes the best part of the BCS membership out for you.

In the end I decided not to join as I don't think the benefits match the costs.

Certifications: A few.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Love the idea of local user groups and workshops. Didn't work out for me as most of the ones I'd like to go to were in London. There were a few local ones but couldn't generally get there as they tend to be scheduled during the week for early evening and work commitments conflicted.

So yes have now tried both the BCS and the IET. All they really did for me was get me a metre high stack of unread magazines, which I then had to bin, so feel yes better I save the membership and save the environment !

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. For me it's been a very quiet year being a member of the BCS (as I have various other projects and work on the go) and the main reason why I'm a member is to keep my Chartered status.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well unless you're CEng your're not chartered ?

6. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Whilst work are paying I'll keep it, just another thing on the CV and a few potential employers have had it listed on their nice to have requirements.

But I've not got anything out of it really, have done some ISEB exams but would have done them anyway.

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Totally agree. I didn't have the time to attend the meetings, and it was a waste of money to be perfectly honest.

Saying that though, I still have the certificate up on the wall at work. I'll apply for CITP when I hit the requirements in a few months but it's not really a big deal breaker. It's never been asked about or stated as a requirement for any job interviews / specs.

Perhaps in the future it will become more widely recognised and then it will be worth it, but as it stands I won't be renewing.

Qs

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Kitkatninja

I'm not a CEng, I'm a CITP. Not sure what you're saying, Chartered Engineer is not the only chartered status a person can get. Currently the BCS has not licenced out the CITP to other organisations like the ECUK did with the CEng.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've never seen CITP given any recognition, all the organisations that ask for chartered status seem to request CEng.

It doesn't matter how much BCS thinks CITP is important, if nobody else cares about it then its irrelevant.

10. Kitkatninja

I actually have, for middle to upper IT management posts. Granted not all of them list it as either a required or desirable, but enough for me to retain the CITP for career progression.

-Ken

11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes I've seen CITP mentioned as optional on Job specifications.

My point was that CEng can give you points towards immigrant working visas. Some places make CEng mandatory so without it you can't work. In some countries you can't even call yourself an engineer without CEng or an approved Masters degree. It can also count towards prior learning credit for masters courses.

None of these things seems to apply to the CITP.

Its not even clear my UK CITP would mean anything abroad. When I went to Australia they have the ACS and they seemed to have no knowledge of BCS membership or accreditation.

I can't justify 100 pounds per year just to maintain a title. Its like those gym memberships for people that don't go...

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't personally make use of the BCS resources - of which there are many, or attend any functions. But I guess that's my fault that I don't get value for money.

However, I do feel that membership of the BCS does have value to organisations and customers as it represents a commitment to quality and standards. Or at least, it looks like it does... :oops:

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've been a member for just over a year now and apart from an inbox full of emails, and then odd magazine, I haven't got anything out of it.....yet....

I'm attending one of their central London meetings next Tuesday night - I've expressed an interest to one of the chairs of a committee in doing something, so I'll attend and see what its all about. At the moment I'm in Central London, but if my plans come to fruitition I'll be working out in Berkshire and I'm not sure how that will change it.

Something my girlfriend has found by being involved in Girl Guiding - you can be a Brownie leader or you can jump in head-first - her comment to me when I spoke to her about doing this: "You tend to get back what you put in".

I'm thinking: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
    Modey likes this.
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What you said really. I was a member for a year but I didn't engage with any of the activities and couldn't really be bothered to read the magazine. I got out of it what I put in, which wasn't very much. :) On balance I decided it wasn't worth renewing my membership.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I probably won't renew my CITP but I'm very proud that I achieved it, purely because its difficult to achieve. I agree that you only get out what you put in. If you want better value for money you should attend the meetings and get more involved. I will join the BCS again and get more involved once my career calms down a bit. People can say what they like about the BCS but to my mind they are the only IT organisation worth joining.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  16. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Whats wrong with the ACM and IET ? :wink:

17. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Nothing, both fine establishments, but how many discussions have we had on this open forum about those compared to the BCS? I just feel the BCS is better known and more organised. You can get your CEng and IEng through the BCS now too.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  18. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well in america I'd have thought the ACM was a bigger player and they seem to do more technical stuff in general. This forum is very support biased. The BCS is generally the least techy and most business focused.

19. Kitkatninja

This is one of the differences between having a regulated profession (eg engineering) vs an unregulated one (eg IT), I did a poll here and over 50% who answered didn't want a "licence to practice" and in another poll here just over 1/3 wanted the title IT Professional to be protected like the engineer title.

I do know what you mean about counting towards prior learning, this is something I raised with the BCS several times, but it seems that there is no interest - either from members or from the organisation.

That's strange as on their own website, they have stated that the ACS, BCS and the CIPS have formed a MOU: ACS (Australian Computer Society) - Membership, Professionalism and Leadership for ICT Professionals and the ICT Community

This is another thing that I do not like, the BCS is a founding member of the IP3 for the International IT Professional (IITP) program which is to standardise the IT Professional globally, however while the ACS and CIPS have already achieve this, the BCS is dragging it's feet. So not surprising that the CITP doesn't mean or has less meaning abroad.

That I can understand.

Sorry to hear that you probably won't be renewing your CITP mate :(

I'm not saying that the BCS and what they offer is the be all and end all, there are lots of things that I wish that I could change, but until I decide to go (and get) the IEng (as I know that I will not get the CEng) I will stay with the BCS for now.

-Ken

20. Kitkatninja

Don't know about the others, but the IET would look alot more attractive if the yearly membership fees weren't that high :(

-Ken