BCS Transformation - spreading the word

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by UKDarkstar, Sep 26, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I attended the BCS Member Groups Convention in London on Wednesday (23rd) to hear more about the Transformation of the BCS which has started and will run through to the end of 2010.

A *lot* of work has gone into this and, although it may not be to everyone's liking, my view is that we need to embrace the change and move on.

Many will have already seen the new BCS website (if not, go have a nose around) showing all the new logos and the colour chnage to a green theme.

To help this along and spread the word, two taxis have been decorated out and can currently be seen in London (but they may visit other key cities). Here you go .....

BCS-TAXI-compressed.JPG

There have also been lots of media opportunities and you may hear something on your local BBC radio station as many interviews have been given.

I'll post some more detail when I get the time to go over my notes :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

One of my questions is what is BCS doing for education? And those that work in Education?

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Are you asking for Teachers or for IT staff in the education sector? :biggrin

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Both ... and for students too. We shouldn't forget about them.

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Lots actually, although I'd agree that it doesn't get publicised enough.

It falls under the "Learned Socierty" aspect :

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.24581

The above gives some idea and various other bodies have agreed to work with the BCS on this. The BCS have appointed David Mitchell to the task :

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.27257

I'm sorry that I can't give more detail but it is all in the planning stage at the moment. The latest "official" release is here :

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.32253

At a local level it's down to individual branches to act and get themselves involved with all aspects of their community including education staff (teachers and IT support staff). I can say that we're trying to do this in Dorset but we don't get much response from those groups. None have seemingly been interested in our meeting topics or for the networking aspect.

However, we do have a presentation from Twynham School on their Sharepoint VLE next year (February) and we are hoping to use this to try to get more people from the Education sector involved.

Other branches may be doing other things, BUT, there would be no harm in those people approaching their BCS branches expressing an interest to get more involved - it takes two to tango !

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yay - new member's logo at last!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Sorry m8, they've been available for a few days. If you log in to the Member's area you'll find they've all been updated now.