BCS Transformation - New Chartered Status

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by UKDarkstar, Sep 19, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ok, for those of us who are already CITP (Charterd) the situation is that :

Existing CITPs (except those who choose to become Assessors) will be unaffected by these changes
    and will retain their current status and post nominal letters.
    It will be possible for existing CITPs who are currently working in IT and want to gain a Certificate of Current Competence to undertake re-assessment at any time within the next five years. However there is no requirement to do so.

Details will appear on the website later in the year. Re-assessment will start in early 2010.

For those interested in the new style CITP download this document to find out about the BCS and CITP (on page 5) :

http://www.bcs.org//upload/pdf/transformation-update-sep09.pdf

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's good to know :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Have you seen the new citp logo? Its pretty cool if you ask me :oops:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Alot better than the 50 year old one :oops: :p

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. mrmuesli

mrmuesli Bit Poster

Certifications: see auto sig
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yup. I suspect that's because they'll be telling us about it at the Member Groups Convention.

I'll post what I can when I get back :biggrin

7. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

I'm sorry but in my opinion the changes to CITP are meaningless if existing CITP's do not need to re-apply under the new requirements. BCS top brass obviously do not want to rock the boat for their existing members but if the society has CITP's who attained the accreditation much more easily than newer members, then of what value is it?

I await the wrath of all those CITP's who disagree........

8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I can see what you are saying Pete but I don't think its practical to ask all CITP's go through it again. Very few industries do so its not just the BCS. An example is: I did a written test for my driving licence but my dad didn't. Would you expect everyone who didn't sit the written test to have to go sit it? I guess what I'm trying to say is this is the way of the world. To be a doctor years ago you only needed 3 Cs at A Level. Now its 4 A's but you won't get doctors doing another 5 years training. If everyone had to redo their work just because of changes in the future no one would get anything done and no one would bother putting themselves through something like the CITP if they thought they'd just have to go through it all again one day. I had an online interview for my CITP so I know I wouldn't go through that again.

What you are saying is that because the BCS has moved the goal posts my CITP is no longer valid. You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree. If a Server 2003 R3 came out would you expect to have to have to redo your MCSA? I wouldn't.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

hey, no wrath :p

I think you need to understand how it will work. With the greater promotion of CITP, more employers (see the video from the guy at VISA) will start to llok for this and will want those with the Competancy Certificate. In the meantime, during the early days, those of us who are existing CITP's are not penalised but can take the tests if we wish.

I don't think that, having demonstrated I met the criteria, I should have my CITP withdrawn, but I also accept that (when back in work) I may need to demonstrate I have kept up to date.

*simples* :p

10. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

I accept it is impractical to ask all existing CITP's to re-apply under the new requirements and certainly more hastle than it's worth for the BCS - I just think it is a little unfair.

Certs are pretty clear cut - an MCSE on NT is not the same as an MCSE on Server 2003 and the re-certification requirement of CCNA every 3 years helps to ensure people who hold it are at the same skill level.

The changes made to CITP now mean that it is more difficult to attain. This is not a bad thing, I just question it's value if the people who hold it do so under different requirements.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  11. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Yeah, got that bumph too about Chartered Status and now think it is worth me going for. There seems to be lot of mixed feelings about this ... some have obviously worked hard for the status and I hope that I have to be hard pushed to gain it myself.

There is no problem with elitism in my book ... it really does give it some standing.

12. smckeown

smckeown New Member

thanks for the details Kevin, i'm about to start the CITP journey...

Certifications: BA (Hons), Siebel v5/6/7/7.7
    WIP: Websphere MQ Sys Admin, ITILv3
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Good luck ! :biggrin

14. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I want to be chartered!:cry:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  15. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

<cough> Are you sure you don't mean certified? :twisted:

:offtopic