BCS Membership Fees - reduced in some circumstances

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by UKDarkstar, Jul 29, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

My purpose here is not to start a debate on the amount of fess or whether they're worth it.

This is just to advise any existing or potential Members that there are now extended circumstances in which your membership fee can be reduced for a period.

You may be eligible for the reduced rate if you are:

On a career break
    On maternity or paternity leave
    A mature student in full time education
    Unemployed
    Off work due to ill health
    On a low income and earn less than £15,000 p/a*

Full details of the reduced fee scheme can be found here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Good to know, thanks DarkStar.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yeh I found out about it for a MBCS who was going to have to cancel as he's just started a business and couldn't afford it. Now he can :biggrin

4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Could be me April next year. I might leave the corporate world and go it alone . . . maybe . . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, good to hear that the BCS is doing sometime in these times to promote membership (on the financial side of things) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Finally pulled my finger out and have been accepted as a professional member (paying full rates too!)

How many people actually put MBCS after their name though. CITP I can understand ... but MBCS? Is it respected enough?

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

This has been debated several times on the BCS Groups on LinkedIn. At the end of the day it's up to you. I think you'll find that BCS "rules" say you don't just use CITP on it's own.

For me, I use all my appropriate post-nominals in any business situation. I've worked for 'em (or qualified for them by meeting criteria) so if you've got it flaunt it ! :p

8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I put it after my name, after all there is another CITP program out there. Plus it help raises the profile of the BCS :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security