BCS Associate

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Gav, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I'm now an Associate Member of the BCS!

I've been considering it for some time, and finally went ahead with it earlier this week. As far as I am aware, my supporter was not contacted, so my CV must have been sufficient.

Onwards and upwards!

- Gav

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to the fold :)

Will you be aiming for the CITP at somepoint in the future?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Nice one mate

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

congrats. What was the reason for joining?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  5. Stevie.f

Stevie.f Bit Poster

Is it worth becoming a member?

Certifications: BSc (hons) Comuter Networks, CompTIA Cloud Essentials
  6. Kitkatninja

Depends on what you want out of it :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    jk2447 likes this.
  7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Thanks all.

@wagnerk I don't see why not. I've got a few years to go yet before I'm eligible though, so MBCS is the next level on the cards for me.
    @beerbaron I didn't have any specific reason. Every time I read the BCS website, it just seemed like a good organisation to be a part of? Also, post-nominals are always nice!
    @Stevie.F Couldn't possibly say yet, but it's not that expensive, and it's tax deductible!

I'm currently looking into the Higher Education Qualifications. Has anyone ever done these? Did you self study? They mention self-study on their website, but their customer services team doesn't seem to be too clear on the matter.

- Gav

8. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

In my opinion, no! I've been MBCS for about 4 years now and I won't be renewing my membership when it expires in December. Many people cite the local meetings as a great opportunity for networking etc. In my mind this is only any real use if you are self employed and touting for business. I love IT but to be honest, the last thing I want to do at the end of a working day is go into town and talk to other people about IT!

I can't honestly justify the £100 a year anymore. You get a few magazines sent to you every week/month but I found them very much of a bore (more interesting articles on Hexus etc) and ended up unsubscribing from the mailing lists. So for my £100 I get four letters after my name and if you read certain posts online there's conflicting arguments about whether they are counter-productive when added to your CV!

You will get a mixed bag of opinion on here - some people love the BCS and some people hate it. I don't really sit in either camp, I've just got better things to spend my money on!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
    dmarsh likes this.
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I spent a year as an MBCS and tbh it was a waste of time and money, no benefit for me personally (monthly meetings are not suitable for me as I commute for between 5 - 6 hours a day and the last thing I want to do is go to a meeting which delays me getting home even later) so I decided not to bother renewing or going for the CITP.

I didn't even bother with putting my MBCS on my CV, I do hold two BCS related certifications (ITIL Foundation 2 and 3) and I got those without my membership.

I have to admit that in my opinion it really wasn't worth it for me, it's certainly not held me back professionally but added to that I am not in a role where I can see any benefits from holding any BCS related membership perks (I am discounting the ITIL certifications because for the most part are actually pretty much common sense based things anyway).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Kitkatninja

I've been a member now for a good few years and while I don't support everything that the BCS does, I do support the main aims of the BCS.

I don't attend meetings, I don't even have a BCS qualification (I did the ITIL v3 Fdn via EXIN) and the main tool from the BCS that I use to use has now been discontinued.

However I do follow the Code of Conduct (and putting on your application form/CV implies that), I do support the development IT field as a profession (not just as a work force) and I support the Chartered IT Professional (CITP) program which shows that you work at level 5 of the SFIA, which I've already gained.

Is membership worth it for me? Yes, at least for now :)

11. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Been a member for a few years and will keep renewing as long as the company is paying for it, but it's not something I really get any value out of.

I did attend one event which actually was ok, only joined up when I was looking for work as bizarrely it was listed on a lot of adverts as a requirement/nice to have.

If I was paying for it myself (well, if I wasn't claiming it back on expenses) not sure I'd be stumping up, esp as I'm not job hunting and shouldn't be for a long while.

12. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I always find this a difficult discussion because I feel torn on the subject. Quick answer to not bore you. I'm glad I gained my CITP but I did not renew. Gaining the CITP was tough and I'm glad I did it. I might rejoin when I have the time to attend the meetings and get the most out of it. James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs