1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BCS Affiliate - Passport

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Gav, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Does anybody know if someone who is a BCS Affiliate is entitled to countersign a British Passport application?

According to the IPS you can sign if you are a 'member, associate or fellow of a professional body', so I would presume so?

Thanks,

- Gav

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

No, you have to be a "Professional" Member i.e. MBCS/FBCS and even then I'm not sure that BCS is "recognised" for this - I wouldn't risk it.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  4. k89

k89 New Member

Just to clarify for people finding this in 2011 + (I have been wanting to know the answer myself so rang the passport office to confirm):

Acceptable countersignatures for British Computer Society Members are their Professional Grades:
    British Computer Society (BCS)
    *Member (MBCS)
    *Fellow (FBCS)

OR their Chartered Grades:

* Chartered IT Professional (CITP)
    * Chartered Engineer (CEng)
    * Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
    * Chartered Scientist (CSci)

They confirmed to me just now, without any delay, that Student Membership and Associate (AMBCS) Membership do NOT count. I repeat, cannot sign passports.

So that's a No to anyone listed as an Ordinary Grade Membership (rather than the Professional or Chartered Membership, who can sign just fine).