BBC1, 7.30, Inside Out - IT Training companies.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Urban Pauper, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Anyone who still wants the link, the file is only hosted for seven days and then expires. If I get a moment, I'll upload it again unless someone else can do the honours...

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Hi All - I've not seen the programme. I just hope it isn't the usual three-ring circus that so many consumer programmes turn into. Why do TV companies do that? Turn a serious issue into some sort of comedy show. The fact that people are getting ripped off seems, at times, to be of secondary consideration. I guess the upside is that, irrespective of the presentation format, companies are named and shamed. For what that's worth. Many dodgy dealers, whatever they're selling, seem to carry on for years in spite of bad publicity. Regards.

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  3. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Would be much appreciated!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Baba. Could you PM me the link please. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Me 2, cheers mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Baba O'Riley

Oh blimey, there's still loads of people who want it. It might be a couple of days before I get round to re-uploading it, so if you haven't received the link from me by Thursday, someone give me a kick up the arse.

7. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

hi baba could you do one for me as well please ,thanks.:D :D

Certifications: c & g in refrigeration
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNN
  8. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Hi Baba - I suppose I shouldn't comment too much without actually seeing the programme. I would also appreciate the link.
    Regards.

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just to summarise what I thought of the program - Skillstrain training = decent, skillstrains (outsourced) salesmen = poor.

That about sums it up for me. 8)

10. Tahrey

Tahrey Bit Poster

I wouldnt mind having that link either, baba, please :)

Certifications: GCSE in IT... and that's it
    WIP: ECDL / Whatever finally seems right
  11. Urban Pauper

Urban Pauper Bit Poster

I'm really glad people had a look at this topic. Thanks to the wunderkind who created a wmv of the IT Skills Train segment... I was slightly disappointed that no other companies were mentioned (most of us could name at least 3 offenders, no?).

I was wondering whether anyone had been on the Insitute of IT Training website to find out about the campaign some chappie on the program said they'd be running to protect individual buyers?

12. Struggling_Student

Struggling_Student New Member

need to see that show

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeps - me too.

Just like nearly every other training provider. The people who run these places really are the absolute scum of the Earth - even the provider I studied for my MCSE & MCBDA with had shite admin staff. They took 3 grand off some poor cow who didn't even know what a mouse was (I sh** you not) - she turned up on the first course I did and people complained about the fact that she clearly didn't have a Danny - she slowed the class down to a ridiculous level. Next day she was gone - no money back, no nothing. I seriously doubt whether she ever sat an exam - just wasted 3000 quid. And my school was BY FAR the best training provider I've ever encountered.

I think you'll probably find most places the students have very few complaints about the trainers - its the admin & sales staff that make people nauseous!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Baba O'Riley

OK, I've uploaded it again and PM'd all yous who wanted it.

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Baba. [​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Urban Pauper

Urban Pauper Bit Poster

http://www.iitt.org.uk/public/press/article.asp?PressRoomID=22277

IITT Chief Executive vows to clamp down on ‘self-funder’ training market

21-Sep-2006

Institute of IT Training chief executive Colin Steed vowed to clean-up the self-funder training market on the BBC TV’s consumer watchdog programme Inside Out this week.

Appearing on Inside Out on BBC 1 on Monday evening, Steed said that the Institute had launched a campaign to protect the public from the widespread practice of promising jobs and hard sales techniques that are plaguing the industry and giving the commercial training market a bad name.

“We get very few complaints about our commercial providers but receive many complaints from the public about mis-selling and broken promises from this area of the market,” said Steed. “We are extremely concerned that the rate of these complaints are growing by the week. The market is worth multi-millions of pounds and some of the training providers in the market are earning fortunes at the expense of the public.”

Steed said that the large majority of complaints are about being misled about promises of job guarantees, promises of huge salaries once qualified and not being able to receive a part refund of the course fees when the individual is unable to complete the course through personal circumstances.

“This is affecting those who are unemployed or are looking to re-train after being made redundant,” explained Steed. “The promise of a job with huge salaries are tempting people to part with thousands of pounds to these training providers. Just today we received a call from a young person who had parted with £10,000.”

Steed explained that the Institute has formed a steering group of training providers in order to compile a rigorous accreditation programme for the self-funder market. “The new accreditation programme will still encompass the quality of the training delivery, but will provide a strong focus on the training providers’ sales processes,” explained Steed. “We shall set up the scheme so that the buyer is protected against mis-selling in much the same way as the FSA has cleaned up the financial services industry.”

Steed reiterated that he wants the Government to help him in the campaign. “The Learning & Skills Council (LSC) should be particularly interested in joining up with the Institute as the LSC Career Development Loans are used in the majority of cases. We need them to work with us on this campaign so that, for example, only those providers who are Institute Accredited will receive CDLs from them,” said Steed. “In that way we can make a real difference and clean-up this market.

“We are making every effort to get to the right people in the LSC, but our efforts to date have been fruitless.”

The TV programme can be downloaded from the BBC TV website:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/realmedia/insideout/bb/insideout_180906_16x9_bb.ram

Note that it requires RealPlayer in order to receive the streamed video.

17. AvtarSDeusi

AvtarSDeusi Bit Poster

can i have the link too please?

Certifications: None that mean much :p
    WIP: A+, N+, CCNA in that order
  18. Baba O'Riley

19. AvtarSDeusi

AvtarSDeusi Bit Poster

yeh i realised after i had asked for the link
    just watched it lol

Certifications: None that mean much :p
    WIP: A+, N+, CCNA in that order
  20. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Many thanks!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?