Basic standard of living costs £13,400

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Manunemp, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Its funny you point out that my rent is cheap in comparison to yours which it is but I recentley heard my local radio station mentioning that its official that the average house price in Dorset is higher than any other county in the whole of the UK.

Come to think of it though we do have Sand Banks in Poole which I beleive is in the top 5 most expensive places to live in the world and I'm sure Darkstar would agree with me when I say what a Lavish neighbourhood Sandbanks is :p

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  2. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

£360 pcm. I live in hartlepool north east England and £360 gets you a damp flat above a fish shop.

Iv tryed looking for higher payed jobs but the market is so competative right now. I got an interview for on IT tech job that was only 16K and i heard on the grape vine that over 90 people applied. CCNA was required as well:x

Its the wrong time to be trying to get a new job.

@ Alex399 good luck with the IT support job interview.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA, Fd Degree, BSC (hon).
    WIP: MCDST
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Yeh thats actually pretty much my wage. I live with my parents and I still struggle to have a decent life even on that money. I do pay rent etc yes.

Ill hopefully be moving abroad tho soon for a year and If I do it will be interesting to see how one survives on the equivalent of 500 pounds worth a month.

IMO you need to be on at least 20k to be able to afford to have an ok standard of life.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. vhb

vhb Bit Poster

my advice is dont give up and look at the long term benefits (Experience). If you are not happy at the moment your brain will look for ways of getting out of this but you have to recognise this and push hard with confidence and perseverance.

I used to work as as a Kitchen porter on £4.50 when I arrived in London in 2001 and lived with 5 people in a 3bed flat luckly for me they were all girls :) joking aside it was a very difficult time but hey better being here iwth a job and being able to help my parents then being in Brasil with nothing to do.

Anyways I moved from being a porter to being a night recptionist where I could do a lot of studying as it was very quite at night thats when I did my CCNA. I worked Thursday to Sunday from 8pm till 8am and went to college monday to Friday 9 to 5 for 2 months. I unfortunately fell for a sales pitch from a company that took al ot of money from me but hey it was my mistake so I will have to live with it.

I managed to find a job after a month of completing my ccna which was a 10 to 6 monday to friday and guess what for 6 months I kept my night job Thursday to Sunday from 8pm till 8am. I was really tired sometimes but my friends helped me a lot with encouragement and I was so focused no one could talk me out of it. I was on
    16k night job + 19k day IT job for 6 months. I used to eat for free aqt the hospital because I knew the head chef and they had a nice shower facility for the staff.

Now 3 years on I dont have 2 jobs anymore but I have 1 job that pays almost what both jobs combined did and english is not my first language.

my point is dont give up some people have it worst and some have it better than you but concentrate on your studies and set mid long term goal. sorry for the long text but I hope my story can be of help to you.

cheers
    VHB

Certifications: CCNA, MCP,ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNP, VMware
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ that's some hard graft! good on you!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I found it very inspiring reading that, I take my hat off to you for working those kind of hours :eek: and I'm really happy for you that you are now on a decent salary with 1 job instead of 2 and you can let your hair down and enjoy life after the hard times youve been through.

What kind of evening jobs could I get were I would be able to get on with my studying when it goes through quiet phases????????.

I was thinking of a standard shelf filler job at a super market but then no chance of fitting in some studying time when it goes quiet as you would never not have any shelves to fill... maybe if you were on tills you could get away with it, any suggestions on what evening jobs would give me this kind of freedom??

I don't think I could hack working nights on top of my full time job as I would end up falling asleep at my desk and therefore could lose my daytime job as a result of this so perhaps not best for me to work nights...

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

What about weekends? I work Saturday nights and that gives me all day Saturday to study plus an extra £40 a week.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. vhb

vhb Bit Poster

hey Alex I am glad I helped.

do you have a study plan? how many hours a week do you put in your studies?

do you have any IT experience or are you trying to get the first job in IT? what are you studying and how long have you been studying?

if are managing to keep your head above water at the present then its a good sign even if it means making sacrifices like drinking or even having a GF :). Maybe a change of jobs is not necessary for you in order to study, but if you do want to find a night job I would try to find a security/receptionist one which can be relexing at times but still require responsability from your part. I cant advise you on a super market job as I have never experienced that so its hard to visualize how much time you will have on your hands to study.

Dont think about now but try to set mid - long term goal and also look at the result never look at the path you have to follow to get there otherwise everything you do will look like a mamoth unachievable task.

how is the job market where you live?

cheers
    VHB

Certifications: CCNA, MCP,ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNP, VMware
  9. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I try to keep to 10 hours of study a week but I occassionally fall just short of that.

I'm currently sudying for my Comptia A+ and Ive been studying it for about 2 months now and I'm also considering waiting for the 2009 Comptia study materials to be realeased through my TP I am with, as there is no extra charge for me If I decide I want to go with the newest Certification of the Comptia A+ that gets released this December through my TP.

I took into consideration that I think the Comptia exam board would surely only add onto the topics the exam would cover therefore increasing knowledge gained from this exam or do they just get rid of some of the older technoligies included in the Comptia A+ 2006 exams and replace it with newer technology for the Comptia 2009 version...???

I have no IT work experience and Qualification/Certification wise all I have is a ICT GNVQ from secondary school... so on paper I'm not looking like much in terms of suitability for an IT role even for a basic 1st line support or any other entry level support role.

I currently work full time 9-5:30 pm mon-fri, Ive never been too into getting a supermarket job really :eek: its never appealed to me in the slightest but considering "how little of your brain you have to use" kinda job it is, I thought I could do it on top of studying perhaps and not wear myself out.

Or maybe go for a basic receptionist job and hide the book under some paper on my desk and read it at all times while no one is around if it is a quite period :D, bare in mind I'm male, I don't know recall seeing many if any males working as a receptionist I thought of it to generally be a womens job (don't mean to be sexist :wink:)

I'm sure a solution will strike me soon enough, Ive already made lots of cutbacks in terms of standard of living and I'm still not managing to keep my head above water so looks like I need a 2nd job right now or make further cutbacks on my standard of living :eek:

I have no idea how I blabbered on for so long in this post :D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009