Basic Lab Setup

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Smorg, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Hi guys
    I'm just about to set off down the long (not too long I hope!) road of A+ self study.
    I was wanting to know if you guys had any advice on what I'd need for a basic lab setup to help with my studies. How many PC's should I be looking to have networked? I 'spose I should start looking on eBay for PC bits!
    I have wireless already set up on my PC, so I should be able to set up a network no probs. I suppose I can install different OS on each PC (XP, 98 etc) so as to learn more about each OS. Any advice on what I should be getting and any experiments I could do once I have it set up?
    Thank guys. Long live CertForums! :beers2

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, as a starting point get yourself one PC that you can tear to bits and rebuild over and over again. You could choose to set this PC up with a dual boot configuration.

Tear the thing to bits and start over again! Seriously. Nothing helps you learn better than actually doing something over and over again.

8)

3. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Thanks for that! Now I just need to hunt for some cheap bits - ebuyer seems quite good. Any other suggestions?

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Second-hand dealers at fairs I find to be good. And ordinary dealers are always getting rid of old stuff!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yeah, as Harry said computer fairs are good- you also save on postage too :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. troubledtony

troubledtony Bit Poster

HI smorg i'm just alittle further down the road from you and as the chaps have already said scrounging pays off, i found two old pc's in friends lofts, oh yes they were old one still had 3.1 on it , i also bought neat little desktop with xp prof installed for £55 inc postage. all in all i,ve spent about £120 all in and as i type i'm just finishing setup of 98 on one and the ics on another, my mates think i'm mad but i love it'. I'm an engineer( marine) and it,s nice to get stuck in and not end up smelling of diesel! so have fun and good luck! :biggrin

Certifications: none
  7. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

As a matter of interest - where did you manage to buy desktop for £55?!?

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Smorg,

Ebay is great for all as you well know, but, i find that the weight of a desktop costs a lot to send, therefore loosing the bargain appeal.

Try looking in your local paper, "freeads", car boot sales and computer fairs. One thing i would say to keep in mind is if they have the XP disc.... If you buy a machine with the intention of using the operating system that is installed you want it to be legal....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT