banned users

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Asterix, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I have noticed a lot of old posts where the username is striked out and the user has been banned, although further investigation into these users posts i have seen no considerable banning offences. Is there a list of banned users and reasoning for this? if not i suggest a 'Named and shamed' section forewarning all (and ending my Curiosity).:p

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Don't...

Just...

...Don't go there. Not after the past week or so - please! :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If it is who I am thinking of, I would recommend that you go back and look at some of his earliest posts. That ban has been a long time coming.

In any case, the mods here do not ban indiscriminately. If they ban, there's a reason.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Banned users are always banned for a reason. That said, some of the bans are only temporary and serve as a warning to the poster that they are breaking the rules, and that their behaviour will not be tollerated.

If you look closely at banned users posts you will find reasons why they have been banned. Some may be banned simply for spamming whilst others get banned for various reasons.

As has already been said we do not ban simply because we feel like it! :biggrin

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Given the current state of affairs that's a bit of an insensitive question.

Bit like trolling...

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ come on your not really getting upset about this post are you?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not really - but it's a bit like walking into a wake and saying really loudly 'Cheer up - did somebody die or something?'

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. danielno8

hahah! whatever has happened happened, i just don't think it's something that should annoy/upset people if someone comes up and asks about it.

9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

just a legal question that someone asked me a while back and i didn't really know the answer.

if a user is banned from a forum or social network do you have to comply with requests from the user in question to take down all contributions that they made?

can a facebook style policy really be enforced?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Depends on the T&C for the forum/network that they agreed to when they signed up

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's also a bit difficult to comply with in terms of Google caching, whereby the posts from the user can still potentially be accessed - our teams here have had a couple of encounters with that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. danielno8

presumably not if the T&C are set outwith local law though!

13. supernova

yeah i never thought of that one and i have also seen complete forums clone by archiving sites.

14. BosonMichael

If I didn't want CF to be able to use the content I post, then I shouldn't be posting it on THEIR site in the first place.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Look at it this way
    if you were to hack CF and get access to the DB, edit some stuff
    you wouldn't be tampering with 'someones post' you would be tampering with 'CFs data'

that data belongs to CF, and unless law or a policy dictates that we give those rights back to the user, even once banned, then the data is still CFs

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. supernova

However, on some forums and social networks people post articles etc that they have written as the own intellectual property (IP), sometimes even protecting their IP. I know a chap on one social network that has his IP protected for upto £1 Million.

I also know of a chap, not personally, that took a forum to court to get his IP removed, after been banned (which was actually over something stupid)

17. BosonMichael

Posting an article like that implicitly grants the site permission to post that content on their site. After all, YOU posted it there. Does it give the site the right to redistribute that content and/or sell it? No; you still retain those rights. Nor would it give any member on the site the right to redistribute the content you wrote. But once you've given a site the rights to display the content on their site, you'd be hard-pressed to get them to remove it.

If that matters to you, just don't post that sort of content on a site that you do not own. Problem solved.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  18. keshubawa

keshubawa New Member

Interesting ...hmmmmm :(