Bank of 12 computers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by lcs99, Dec 20, 2011.

1. lcs99

lcs99 New Member

Hi, our company has a bank of 12 computers which we sometimes hire out to the local job centre helping to get people back to work etc.
    We are looking at becoming a test centre for exams etc (prometric), but doing some research it seems that people who have done this in the pass say it is not worth the time and money you would make, and in most cases a lost.
    Any ideas what we could use these computers for to make it worth while staffing it. These computers will be screened off to meet test conditions. We have stuff in place at the moment for the coming months but would like some feedback or simple great ideas.
    :rolleyes:

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Simply having them screened off isn't all that's required to become a testing centre, there are a load of security and sound requirements that are also required.

In all honesty I would say that unless you're a training company with office space to spare I wouldn't try becoming a testing centre. If you did become a testing centre you would need to ensure availability to anyone wanting to test, ensuring you have a decent net connection to download exams and once setup for testing you may find it hard to be able to use the machines for other purposes.

For all the hardship associated with this I really wouldn't bother, as far as any other potential uses for the pc's?? not really :(

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We are a Certiport, as well as a Prometric testing centre.

That's right, just doing exams (either via Vue, Prometric or Certiport, etc) is not worth the running costs. However there are no "just" testing centres that I'm aware of. Alot of testing centres are also training providers (like what we do), we are classed and registered as a private testing centre so only people that do training courses thru us are allowed to sit the exams with us. This gives us the ability to reduce the on-going running costs, while still meeting our needs.

This may be an option that you haven't considered?

One other thing, for Prometric you are not allowed to be a procter for the exams if you already hold a professional certification.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's correct, you have to have a separate domain. The Server is not allowed to be virtual. Decent internet connection (as already stated). And that's just of the top of my head from when we went thru the process.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

I agree that it isn't going to be a massive money earner, but do look into it more. At the very least it will help out local people who are interested in taking certs. I know I would like a place closer to me, and I'm being lazy as there is one <20 miles away.

Where's your nearest testing centre - http://www.register.prometric.com/Centers.asp ?

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL