bands advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by MaryMay, Feb 20, 2009.

1. MaryMay

MaryMay New Member

Hi,everybody!
    I lives in the Bedfordshire area.
    My friends and i want to hold a birthday party for another friend in May, now we are searching for a good band.
    Everything seems not so good, owing to our budget.
    we have been quoted from £800 - £3200. But below £600 is much better for us. some people have suggested us to try a DJ, but that will be another feeling.

I am looking for some advice

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Uhh.... my advice would be to post your question on a forum related to bands. This is an Information Technology certification forum. :blink :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Random
    [​IMG]

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Any band worth their salt hikes up their prices for private gigs.

I'd suggest having a look at who's playing in your area. Look in the local papers, local music forums, myspace etc. Check out any band who might be suitable, go and see them is the best bet.

Make sure you get a sound system quoted in the price as well, you really don't want to have the extra hassle and expense. Also make sure you have a way of playing music when the band isn't playing, you can't squeeze much more than three hours out of any band so you'll need something, unless it's a very short party.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - 'random' doesn't even begin to describe this post :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

In the OP's defence this the "off topic" area of the forum :p :D

Still random nonetheless :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Can't help with the band but if you want a female solo singer for anything from 50's to modern day stuff then my GF could help as she sings all over Beds and Northants as well as North Lincs:p

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

lol:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Seen as though this is an IT forum, why not get a local tecchie to hook up a pc to the speaker system and run music from there all night.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL! Great first post!

My advice? Look for a 'Pub' or 'Club' band who have had the 'penny drop' with regards to getting out of those pub/club gigs. These type of bands can be very good but they're yet to realise their earning potential...so as a result they'll charge below £600 for functions/parties. After a few years they'll realise that they can get £1000+ and will alter their fee!

Get out to the local pubs!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have to agree with drum_dude, there are plenty of good bands playing in pubs that would jump for a 400 quid gig. Just walk up and ask them during their break.

Also, bands are very loud, if this party is to be held in a residential area. you might be better off considering a duo, with a drum machine (sorry drum_dude) as drums alone can bring about a flurry of neighbour complaints. been there, got the t-shirt. 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Somehow I missed the main point of my post, which drum_dude and Bluerinse have covered.
    Pub bands are cheaper than function/corporate bands and should be within your budget.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  14. drum_dude

No need to apologise mate. Last July I stopped using acoustic drums at our gigs as I went out and purchased a Roland TD9-KX e-Kit. It's sounds flippin great, near enough feels like a real kit and can be controlled via the desk to the PA. Also means that no-one in the group has a fax machine sound in the ears after a gig. Obviously, as a result all the intruments can go through the desk with back-line only being used for monitoring purposes. The overall volume can be controlled by the desk's master fader.

E-drums are still somewhat of a taboo amongst drummers as they've still got the 80s association. But the technology has come along way since then and this kit - in my opinion - is far superior sound-wise then an acoustic kit. It also means that all those 80s tune that were impossible to cover can now be done as the Roland contains all those 80s effects :) I love it!

If you want to hear it in action check my band's website at www.thebsharps.com and click on music. You'll find a few 'Live' tracks where I was using the Roland.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow.. yeah, gotta admit that modern Japanese technology can blow your mind of all past expectations. the latest gismos can wipe the floor with my Roland TR 505.. lol those were the days. i still use it to good effect, and one day maybe, i'll get around to purchasing a Yamaha DX7, to demonstrate me keyboard skills.:p

In the mean time, i'll make do, with my olde axes, the dusty Les Paul standard, the vintage strat, the aged Rickenbacker 4001 and the Washburn RS 10V. not to mention the Guild accoustic.

As Mary once sang.. those were the days my friend, we thought.. ah never mind, we were wrong.

:git:bigcry:drummer:berrr

You're band sounds the nuts BTW!! big ups to ya 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. drum_dude

The 'Hung Up' tune uses the Roland TR 909 patch....the 808 is on the module too. I think the 808 was used in Joan Jett's I Love Rock n Rock.

Yeah the band's coming on quite well - I was forced to change the entire line up last September. Still a bit rough around the edges but it's nothing that time can't sort!

17. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Dude

Sounds great. love the sounds. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I cannot believe this thread is now two pages long. :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I know, crazy isn't it? :D

Just hope this member isn't "Band on The Run" :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009