baffled by my connection

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Sep 20, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK folks how about this

Ive moved house and have not set up a net connection. SO what i hear you cry, well im at home now and i am writing this etc. Now i do have a network card and that would not on its own give me access, i plugged my bluetooth dongle in and i am now able to go online, the speed is only 5.5mbps at best as opposed to 125mbps but im not moaning, can anyone elaborate on this for me ?? am i lucky here by using my bluetooth as my connection or am i hogging someones ISP???

I get on my connection list G604T_wireless

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You're hogging someones wireless. :ohmy

3. zxspectrum

I know, i feel bad about doing it but i cant connect to the web other wise, i know its a D link set up as well. Ill have to get mine sorted out as i cant get my music etc

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i say, enjoy it for the meantime, but dont kill his bandwidth, when you get your net sorted, knock on the door and tell him...

its up to you to either say that you've been using the network since moving in, or say that i found out that their wireless isn't secure as you connected to them accidentally...

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good advice, well done Cheek!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Good advice, well done Cheek!:biggrin

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Welcome to the Cheek Zone:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

If TheCheekMaster and UCHEEKYMONKEY were dancing, would they be CHEEK to CHEEK? :tongue

:offtopic

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. zxspectrum

Could i get charged by the police for this????

10. Mr.Cheeks

if he finds out and calls the cops, then i think there is a possibility you may get charged... it all depends on how deep they look into it?

11. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

mind you it is not possible to know who that AP belongs to unless you do a door-to-door survey asking them whether this belongs to you, etc. Be sure to bring a screenshot too coz people who can't secure their wireless network would probably need more explanation and the screen you show them helps in everyway.

good luck. but I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - Bluetooth? :biggrin I suspect not as the G604T doesn't have that, and the speed is too high!

On the question of ethics - it is practicaly very difficult to track down who the AP belongs to in crowded conditions without fairly good kit. And if the owner has left it open then they probably aren't aware of much concerning WiFi.

However - in these circumstances I'd take care not to do anything 'controversial' in case the ISP notices and kicks up a fuss.

And when you get your own connection switch to that!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

ZX, I would make doubly sure you haven't managed to connect you bluetooth dongle to your mobile phone and are using that as a modem. If you are, you're probably paying through the arse for it.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. Mr.Cheeks

Baba - dont you have to dial out on your mob to connect to the net, if so, think that would be obvious... wouldn't it? :blink

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As Harry says, this is a D-Link G604T wireless ADSL modem/router and 4 port switch. It's the device I install more often than not and the one I use at home.

It does not support bluetooth, so how you are connecting to a wireless network allegedly without an 802,1x wireless NIC is a mystery :blink

Is this PC a laptop? If so it must have a built in wireless module.

Legally what you are doing is a grey area. Ethically it is just wrong.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Baba O'Riley

Not sure, never tried it. Seeing as how I can connect to WAP by pressing one button on my phone, I would hazard a guess that it connects as a modem equally easily. I was just thinking out loud when I suggested it though.

17. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

To connect to the Internet using your mobile phone, you have to connect (Dialup), also you must have the drivers for the phone's modem installed on the PC (for Nokia & Sony Erricson atleast).

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  18. Baba O'Riley

Or maybe someone with a net connection has bluetooth enabled on their PC and it's acting as a bridge between Spectrum's bluetooth and their net connection.

19. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Not to water the bonfire but Baba is right...most modern mobiles have GPRS enabled by default, which in turn means if the phone receives a Bluetooth connection it will use the GPRS connection if no other connections have been configured. The drivers are only for using the phone as a dialup modem and not for the GPRS usage.

I would go with Bluerinse on this one, check to see if its a laptop with a built-in wireless module and possibly not even connecting to your own router :oops:

Piggy-backing on an insecure wireless network is getting more and more frowned upon...but on the other hand...securing of home wireless networks is so publicised nowadays that finding someone who has not taken any notice of this makes some people think that these folks must not mind about sharing their connection :rolleyes: Not that I’m one of them :blink

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security