Bad Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've had quite a bad day i think. Not as bad as leehaa's perhaps, but...

Got into work today to discover i was the only person in my team in. so i had to do everything myself.

We had heaps of leavers to process (mind numbing, repetitive work).

But the icing on the cake? I accidentally deleted a group that is used by several hundred people to allow access to a particular piece of software. Nightmare.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

WIP: MCSA 2003
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think just about all of us have had at least one day like this, group deleting included. Hang in there. Tomorrow will probably be better.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

How do you think I feel when I get in and discover that the only other person there is Boyce?

:biggrin

JK!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hmmm my car broke down last night on the way home.
    Got it booked in tomorrow at the mail dealers to put it onto their diagnostic machine. Think I may be looking at a heafty bill to get it on the road again :(

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Whoops! Ah well you're only human. At least you won't be making that mistake again in a hurry! :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

When are MS gonna put an 'undo' button in Active Directory? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Fergal1982

They have, its authoritative/non-authoritative restore. But its not easy to implement, and apparently isnt worth the hassle for a single group.

We managed to get it sorted in the end, recreating the group was sufficient to sort the problem. But i was getting daggers from management.

I certainly wont be making the same mistake in a hurry, they revoked my rights to delete groups! Well, technically thats not right - i can create/delete in another area, then have to move them into that area. So presumeably if i wanted to delete a group id have to move the group before deleting.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Reminds me of the day my old superior accidently popped our 3 RAID drives out on how domain controller, need I say more what we done all weekend?

Stick in there mate, everyone has a few days like that!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Or a recycle bin :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Sparky

Do you really want to restore the whole domain? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. Fergal1982

nope, although the restores can be limited to as little as a single user account, but it appears to revolve around wiping an entire DC to get it back.

You basically wipe the entire DC, and restore it using a non-authoritative restore, this tells the DC to take anything from another DC as gospel - you can then restore specific accounts/groups/ous/etc using the authoritative restore - in this manner, that particular object is considered gospel by all other DCs - but you see why its a pain in the arse.

14. Sparky

Yeah, you could even do a system state restore on the DC but for the sake of one group its not worth the trouble 8)

15. Fergal1982

a system state restore wouldnt work for a deleted group. Within AD, a delete overrides all other actions. If you did a system restore on the dc, you would roll it back to a previous version, with the information on it, but the next replication would wipe it.

The only way to sort it is to use the authoritative restore.

Or at least thats what i was told/read

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I had a week of bad days worth. printers and faxes braking. All kinds of computer issues etc. I once by accident renamed an OU in AD which caused a whole bunch of people getting connection issues, luckly I was able to fix rename the OU back to the way it was before having to go and comfrunt my superiors. So when I told them what happen and why everyone got disconnected at least I also told them the the OU is back to the way it was and everyone should be ok now. They didnt really care just said to be more carefull.

But yean Ferhgal we all had them.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. Sparky

Didnt realise you had more than one DC. I *think* it may work though if you paused the replication, restored the DC, edited the group and therefore the last time it was edited is current, the other DCs think it is a new group when you resume the replication.

Probably quicker to just recreate the group though! :biggrin

18. Fergal1982

Im not sure that would work either. Since we're on a multisite domain and noticed almost instantly, if that would have worked, we could have done it on a remote DC and it would have just replicated back. Deletes take precedence over everything else (and i think AD keeps a note of used GUIDS - so if it is on the list but not in use then its been deleted).

I could be wrong on that though. I might try and test it out sometime if i get my lab back up and running,

On the flipside of this - we managed to recreate the group, and put everyone back in (we got the members list using a script on one of those remote servers). Luckily the backend software deployment software didnt use that particular group for its mechanisms, so there was no issues arising from it.

They've revoked my ability to delete groups in the live area, but thats to be expected after something like this. I can still create. My manager spoke to me today and told me not to stress about it, everyone makes mistakes, which is good.

Fergal

19. Sparky

Yeah, I thought you might be able to get around it but looks like 'delete' always wins. :biggrin

20. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Exactly Fergal it happens to everyone and you'll see before you know it you'll be back with the same rights and probably more.

Its all good.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA