Backup Exec/Exchange - cannot backup the information tore/First storage group....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubfire, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Evening guys :)

I've got issue with Symantic Backup exec 12.5 on server 2003

The following error appears in the job log, the job is failing.

'MICROSOFT INFORMATION STORE\FIRST STORAGE GROUP\MAILBOX STORE\ IS A CORRUPT FILE

THIS FILE CANNOT VERIFY

Event logs - Source: MSEXCHANGE IS MAILBOX
    ERROR ID 1022
    LOGIN FAILURE ON DATABASE FIRST STORAGE GROUP\MAILBOX STORE'

Now, the users have no issues with their email so it's only within Backup Exec where the issue is being raised. I have looked at permissions and the service account used to run this job has full access to the database to back it up, but the backup still fails. I've changed the exchange maintenance schedule not to run at the same time as the backup.

Looks like the store is working as it should, just that BE seems to report it's corrupt :blink

Any ideas how I can get the mailbox store to successfully back up?

Cheers

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Anything in the windows event logs mate? Seen similar issues like the DB was corrupt even though users can access their emails.

Have you ran the test permissions within the backup exec job? Also try a test backup just backing up the Exchange databases.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Dubfire likes this.
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi Sparky - cheers for the reply. I've been checking permissions on the service account that is used by BE by manually going through Exchange manager trees and the relevant folders in explorer. I haven’t used the test function in BE before, but it sounds just what I needed (would of saved a heap of time). If this checks out, I was thinking the next step would be to check the database integrity using ISINTEG AND ESUTIL, etc. You're statement about users being able to access email but the database being corrupt has prompted this - damn! What do you think? Any other steps I could take before using these tools on the dismounted store?

4. Sparky

There is an entry in the event logs that references the DB corruption issue. I can’t remember the exact ID but I would look through the windows logs that are generated while the backup is running.

In reference to permissions I would check this in Exchange System Manager rather than Windows Explorer. For example you can grant permissions to mailbox stores in there rather than Windows Explorer.

Has this problem just occurred? I take it the backup has completed successfully previously on this server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Good man, I'll check the logs tomorrow and post them up.

I've made sure the service account has top level access in ESM and drilled down to every folder. I'll run the backup test as well.

The backup was running sweetly for years but then all of a sudden it failed with the error stated. Do you think this is a permissions issue rather than the actual database requiring a defrag or similar?

6. Sparky

Difficult to say – I would run a test backup of the Exchange Database only and see what happens. Check logs etc. after it has run.

If it is a DB issue then eseutil and isinteg need to be run – if this is the case let me know as I have a script you can run to do it.

Gingerdave likes this.
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Yeah, I'm a little apprehensive running defrag tools on a database until I know for a fact it's corrupt. If i do run these tools would a NT backup of both the private and public database be adequate to restore from in case of any issues? I was also thinking about PSTing off the users email before commencing any of these utilities.

Nice one Sparky, I'll run a test backup tomorrow and check permissions through BE. I'll grab the logs and get post them up tomorrow night. Cheers once again lad.

8. Sparky

Just copy the .edb files and logs mate. Any problems after a eseutil copy the files back.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  9. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Sparky - I ran the integrity check and it came back with corruptions. I then ran the ESEUTIL repair command and it sorted the issue :) Cheers once again for your help mate.

10. Sparky

Glad its sorted mate :)

11. bobpitt

bobpitt New Member

Basically Exchange server error 1022 occurs at the application level. When an Exchange server denies the accessibility of the database page from the Operating System, then in this situation of not getting the page in return causes error id 1022. The main cause of the error is a database file corruption issue.