Problem Backup Exec (and recovery)

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Sep 11, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I am about to put a backup system in place at the school with a limited budget;

Planning on using Backup Exec and Backup Exec Recovery for 3 Servers we have.

Question is, do I need to purchase a complete package of said software for each server? or can I buy the agents?

Either way, is it a case of forking out top whack for each server?

I wanted to backup DC01, FS01 and EX01 with backup exec recovery, but on FS01 and EX01 backup the files and mailboxes with Backup Exec, onto USB drives or tapes depending on how much they are willing to spend. Is it a complete package for each or an I use agents etc? any clues?

Cheers

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think you can do a volume lic a bit like with MS tho' I am a couple of years out of touch with Backup Exec

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

See if you can negotiate a lower fare due to it being placed at an education insitute. Especially in these times, you can often twist the arm of software/hardware companies due to the recession.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

No need to twist arms - they would qualify for academic licensing

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

1 copy with the relevant plug-ins (e.g Exchange) Install a tape drive in one of your servers and you are good to go.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

So one copy on a backup server would be able to backup all the others?

Assuming I have backup Exec System Recovery installed on all the servers (to capture the image). I could then use backup exec on a seperate server to copy the image files across to a storage device?

Would this not slow the entire network down, copying entire FS backups and incremental backups across the network?

So it would be

Backup Exec Server < Exchange Server (only exec recovery installed), File Server (Any plugins needed for this? (recovery installed too) and DC01 (recovery and the exec plugin?)

I don't want to be using tapes though, they start getting expensive, was thinking multiple USB drives? 1TB and leaving them to backup over night for the incremental and over the entire weekend for the full backups.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

I use back up exec in my workplace every day.
    You buy the back up exec software itself then agent licences for each other system you want to back up.
    You dont need hundreds of tapes.
    All you need generally is a grandfather father child routine.
    Assuming you want daily back ups, do a full back up once a week then either an incremental or differential one each day, depending on the amount of changing data you have and the speed at which you would need to institute recovery procedures.
    Then decide on your long term policies, how long it is relevent for you to keep data, and work out a practice from there.
    I back up data going back a year.
    Once a week I do a full back up, each day I then do a differential back up.
    I rotate my weekly tapes, then do a full copy back up each month and then a quaterly back up and a 6 monthly one.
    This is a little bit overkill, partially because my boss just bought a set of 12 tapes so i thought I'd use them.(We have no need of saturday or sunday back ups.)

I run Back Up Exec 10d, but on the newer versions the CPS is tied into the main licence I think, and you'd probably want to use that too

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
    WIP: Loads of stuff!
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best to go to a 1GB network to backup overnight and have a NAS box. Not sure about the age of your servers but if they have USB 1.1 then the backup will be slow.

NAS box with 1GB network should do you fine.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs