backtrac

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by newkoba, Aug 27, 2007.

1. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

has anyone here played around with backtrac? just curious because i have it as a bootable flash drive and also on my laptop as a vmware session. if anyone has what do you think of it compared to say knoppix s-t-d?

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you're talking about the forensic live cd, well, I've downloaded it and burnt it, but never had the time to really learn to use it.

If you would like another one to look at take a look at the following link. If my memory serves me correctly this one was developed by the police in Belgium.

http://www.lnx4n6.be/index.php

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

backtrac is an all encompassing "hackers" linux with over 300 built in tools, some of those are forensic tools though.

thanks for the link i'm downloading the iso now. can never have enough new things to play with during the bored moments of the day.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not seen this thread before as I haven't been around much.

BackTrack is a Live Linux distro used by Security Pros (and some (ahem) 'researchers') as the tool of choice for pen testing, evaluating your own network security or actually penetrating a network.

It has a million and one useful tools and is the standard for most 'off the shelf' security testers today. A real hacker probably wouldn't be caught dead using it as they'd write their own tools and probably run them from some tiny surfaced BSD platform or something, but for the average to medium skilled researcher/pen tester/hacker it's gold.

Incidentally, running it from VMWare by installing to a Linux box is perfectly possible, but if the native host is a Windows box then you'll find that a lot of the stuff (especially scanning & fingerprinting tools) won't work consistently because the VM will be using Windows' TCP/IP stack, which M$ decided to break when implementing it. Best way to use it is either to run it from live, or install it to a dedicated box (either on it's Todd or dual boot)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yup. Forensics: Diagnosing vulnerabilities, compromised networks and systems, etc....

This isn't only a black hat's tool. It's an excellent tools for systems admins and other people on the white hat side of things. FCCU, a very similar tool, was originally created by, if my memory serves me right, Belgian police for doing forensics during criminal investigations arising out of systems and networks being compromised.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. General

General New Member

can some one send me a link to download backtrac,

7. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Have a look HERE

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Backtrack 3 you want, mines on a USB stick. Not much I can't do with it :twisted:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

latest version is actually backtrack 4
    but it's an experimental release
    still, it's very useful!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)