Backing up to a NAS box? Backup Software Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by drum_dude, Jan 28, 2008.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

I'd like to backup a server (W2K3 standard) to a NAS box - a Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo to be precise. Has and does anyone here backup to NAS boxes?

Can anyone recommend a backup utility that can backup to NAS boxes (apart from windows backup). I was thinking that Backup-Exec would be fine but I'm not too sure as I've only ever used it with tape drives.

Soz for sounding like a thicko!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can backup to file with backup exec so you should be ok just mapping a drive to the NAS box. Is this the only way you are backing up the server btw?

I have seen servers go bang and when the backup image is used you might get a “image\file corrupt” error message or something like that.

This means you are left with a duff server and one backup image which is corrupt. Time to freak out! :eek:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. drum_dude

Cheers mate!

Yes this is the only way I have as the client does not want tape drives as there is no-one reliable enough to change the tape!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  4. Sparky

Sounds familiar mate, make sure you explain the risks of not wanting to buy a proper backup solution though just in case the server\NAS box both go up in smoke. It’s only the company’s data after all and if they lost it all then the company would probably go under but some managers don’t seem to realise this until it is too late.

But what the heck!! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. drum_dude

Yep that's my thoughts exactly! They've made it quite clear to me that no-one is available to change tapes though.

Their NAS box is RAID 1 so at least there is some sort of fault tolerance on that side of things.

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd look at getting Acronis True Image to do the job.

From my point of view Backup Exec has too many license and agent problems. If I could rewind the clock I would have chosen Acronis. If you do go with Backup Exec though, make sure you get the right version and make sure it will back up to a network share. I don't know for sure but you might find that it won't back up directly to the NAS for the same reasons that it won't install from a network share. You'll probably have to mess around with backing up to disk and then copy to the NAS.

Or you could get Acronis.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Sparky

Acronis True Image is great but I would recommend that you test restoring the image once in a while. To another server obviously.

I made an image of a server before I had to format it and I thought I would test the image first before formatting, the image was corrupt! Lucky I tested it before formatting the server! 8)

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I used Acronis Tru Image in exactly the wrong way. I had a drive going bad, and rushed out and bought a copy! :oops:

I have to report that it was great. It gave me a clear idea of what it couldn't read - in the end just 5 sectors - and the rebuild onto a new drive went flawlessly.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

I just got Acronis True Image Echo with Universal Restore ... in a word ... WOW!
    beats the pants off Backup Exec Restore Anywhere.

Acronis all the way for me :)

10. Gaucho

Gaucho Bit Poster

I am getting a NAS box for a customer of mine and was going to mount it on the server so logically you would be backing up locally then.
    I was going to do it this way so that I could backup the NAS to the tape drive attached to the server though. Is the NAS AD intergreatable, etc?

Gaucho

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you're looking for a good reliable backup option that uses the NTBackup engine yet doesn't cost the earth then this is a good product.

We have it in a few of our schools and it is working quite well.

12. Gaucho

Gaucho Bit Poster

Don't forget to ask him what he proposes to do if, god forbid, he ever had a fire or flood which takes out all his equipment.

2 Nas rotated daily or even weekly would be a more complete solution with one kept off site, why not offer a new service of storing them.

Gaucho

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  13. Mr.Si

Mr.Si New Member

Hi,

I joined because of this thread!

I am looking to change over from tapes to NAS because I don't get on with, or trust tapes and I don't understand BackupExec either.
    But I am looking at both onsite AND offsite storage and came up with a drawing in Visio 2007, as shown in the PDF I've attached.

I was reading about the Buffalo Linkstation Pro and noticed it can remotely connect to another Linkstation Pro even if it's the other side of a WAN and it can also instruct itself to copy itself to the other one so that they're mirrored. They also have the USB 2.0 ports (2 of them) on the back, so that the Memeo software can then back up to a USB drive (such as a western digital passport, for portability and practicability) which could then be used as offline storage. And since there are 2 of these USB ports, 2 USB drives could be used in a rotation method or something.

I have emailed Buffalo technology's tech support to see if my idea is plausible. If it is, then that may be something to consider...?

Hope my 2p is useful,

Si

Attached Files:

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - the great benefit of tapes is that individualy they are cheap, and easily portable so that copies can be kept off-site.

Used correctly they are very reliable.

If you have used something like Travan in the past I can well understand your reluctance, as those (and their predecessors) were frankly poor.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

drum_dude if you are doing this as a contract as the others have said what they are asking is a bit risky for their data. I would make sure that they put their request in writing mate in case anything happens in the future and it comes back to bite you on the arse.

Personally I think they are crackers as if owt happens to the NAS box then they are stuffed. Can they not use some kind of Jukebox tape loader? (think thats what you call them).

Oops just saw this post is a few months old so has probably been sorted.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011