Backing up Hyper-V VMs for host re-install

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by greenstarthree, Oct 14, 2013.

1. greenstarthree

greenstarthree Nibble Poster

Hi All,

I'm doing MS Cert 70-640 at the moment and as such have 3 VMs set up through Hyper-V on a Windows 8 Laptop.

Unfortunately due to a possible problem with the laptop, I may have to send it back for testing, a result of which could be a factory reset, or indeed a replacement.

I'm just wondering how I would go about making a backup of my VMs, so that they can then be imported back to the freshly installed or replaced laptop?

Am I lucky enough that I can just use Export VM while each is powered off (or manually back up the Hyper-V folder and the VHDX files), then use the "Import Virtual Machine" option in Hyper-V on the new host? Obviously it's a lab environment so I don't need anything like backup while the VMs are running.

Thanks very much
    Adam

Certifications: MCP, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCSA 70-646
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have never used Hyper-V but I would think that it would be similar to VMWare in that if you backup the folder you have all the VMs stored in, you should then be able to just import them back in to Hyper-V with the files stored.

I am sure someone that has used this technology will be able to give you an exact answer though.

Otherwise, try this:Beginner: How to Import and Export Virtual Machines in Hyper-V

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

This should do it.

The other alternative is to simply copy the Files onto your backup device and then set up new VM's pointed at the files.

Have done this plenty of times and has always worked.

4. greenstarthree

greenstarthree Nibble Poster

Thanks guys, glad its a simple task! Sounds like the hard part will be working out the possible return of the laptop to HP!

Cheers
    Adam

Certifications: MCP, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCSA 70-646