Back-up screwed?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, May 26, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have been asked to have a look at a back-up that has *gone wrong*. The user reports they backed up all their doc's using the MS Back-up wizard and all 4 GB of it doesn't work!
    Apparently, when they click on the icon or run the wizard to select restore and select the path it appears to be restoring but when finished nothing has happened!
    Anyone else come across this? Google brings up all sorts of things...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

When they did the backup did they select ‘Documents and settings’ for example or have they backed up the entire c:\ drive for example?

If they try and restore a backed-up c:\ drive then it may not allow them as it is trying to overwrite files that already exist?

Just a quick thought that’s all, never really used the backup option within MS

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Stu,

No, it is only doc's and settings... me too, i use Ghost or Nero to back up.

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

boyce is it restoring to the original location or to a folder somewhere else?

edit: you see it could restore the files overwriting the changes OR create a folder and restore in that folder with the original file structure OR create a folder and just dump the stuff in there...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I had a similar problem where a backup of, at the time, healthy files wouldn't restore correctly. The only thing I could think of was that there was some kind of time-bomb in them, either a malicious piece of code or some corruption that only happens at a particular time (or after a particular time period). I'm not sure how likely this is but is really the only conclusion I could draw.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, the first question that comes to my mind is how does he know it's not working? Just by looking at the amount of data involved and the items included in the backup is it possible that it is working but he just doesn't see it?

I suppose he could only tell if he deletes some folders and tries to restore and it doesn't work. I don't know if I'm clear enough here. Imagine you have a folder with ten files in it and you make a backup of it, then a week later you restore the same folder with the ten files in it. You're not going to see much difference are you?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Plan to go and have a look tommorow, but from what i have been told it must be restoring them to another path because his documents are empty!!

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did you see what the user was doing? Might be a ‘user error’! :biggrin

Maybe get the user to restore one file to a different location and then search the whole PC for the filename, it could be anywhere. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs