Back in the harness

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phoenix, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

tonight will be my first time back in the water (well under the water atleast) since late 2003!
    I'll be going on the weekly group dive up to the local reservoir

Saturday I picked up a new Drysuit
    both my regulators are done being serviced
    I re adjusted by backplate fitting
    and i bought some new weights!

now lets see if some underwater activity will assist in shedding the 55kg I'm aiming to lose :) (lost 4.7KG last week alone)

Diving coupled with some crossfit should do the job nicely

Any other divers here? I know BM is (was)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Believe it or not I used to do a bit, stopped now though. It all got far too expensive and living in the Midlands doesn't exactly make it easy to find decent spots.

Still.. good fun though! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Thats a good effort on the weight loss front mate!

Diving is never something I have tried but always fancied giving it ago.

Have just gone back to martial arts last month so thats helping me on the weight front.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I got to rescue diver status before I moved to Switzerland. I haven't dived at all since I got here as it's just too bloody cold.:cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

That's what Drysuits are for! :)
    crazy wetsuit wearing Australians!

I've been diving off the west coast of British Columbia, on January the 2nd
    nice and toasty in my drysuit ;)

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So... you gonna be blowing bubbles this summer? :twisted:

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Thats the plan
    the LDS has a labor day trip to BC planned, pretty keen to go on that
    doing my DM again to re familiarize myself and then probably and IDC to prep me for AI or OWSI
    Just passed my TecRec Gas Blender course too :)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Crazy and not to mention poor too. I just can't afford (and justify to the wife) 1500+ swiss francs for a drysuit.:cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Something I have always wanted to do, but never got round to it. One of my school friends was "in to it". I remeber him jumping off a boat and loads of magazines kicking about the place - "Diver"?

Well done on the weight loss front - what's your secret? I would like to try and loose some weight myself - it's all too easy to gain when you are sat at a computer for 14 hours a day!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Would love to learn mate, just never got round to it.
    What kind of price is it to learn in the UK mate, and are there different schools and qualifications or is it all one governing body?

Good luck with the weight loss aswell mate, been doing it myself aswell with the cycling, ive lost 2 stone since last GTG :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

it's usually around the 300 squid mark for the OW course
    this gives you an industry recognized card that you can use most anywhere to get air fills and rental gear

buying your own gear costs substantially more if you take it seriously, but for occasional divers it's not required

After OW there are several other courses that can be of use, the Rescue Diver is really recommended if you take things seriously

In the UK the main players are PADI and BSAC
    both have different certs and requirements but generally a certain level of one marries to a level of the other, and the same rights are afforded to the diver accordingly

Once I'm an instructor I'll give you a discount ;)

13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Cheers for the info.
    Discount would be great, long way to travel tho :blink

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Part of diving is the travel lifestyle, you will frequently go on trips to places you would of never considered before, just for the bad ass diving :) (not that its that bad ass in the middle of Idaho, hence why I travel! :)

Had my first dive last night, arrived at the dive site at about 7pm, still about 97f on the surface! yeek!
    it was a bit of a messy dive if I'm honest
    first dive in five years
    first time in new drysuit
    rental wing/bcd
    weight guestimate (seemed to work, i think i could do with a few more lb)
    rental fins, plastic ones, not like my old rubber Scubapro Jets

My trim was pretty poor, and I lost my dive knife (at least, I think I did!, I'll have a good look when I empty the car) but most the skills (mask clearing, reg recovery etc) came back pretty quick, good thing really as I need them to be close to demonstration quality for the DM course :)

We didn't go too deep and I think that hurt my trim more than anything, 0 - 10m below the surface is your quickest pressure change, making it the hardest area to maintain your buoyancy in, couple that with a brand new drysuit (that I didnt connect due to lack of hose) and a rental BCD and you have a sawtooth profile the type every diver fears! good thing I went to about 23ft (7m) max! :)

A fun first dive though, saw a few crawfish and some king size cans of Bud light, should of brought my salvage back and picked up some litter lol, will probably hit that place up a few more times to get back in the swing of things

my legs need some work too, I could feel the cramps forming during my frog kicks, nothing like getting a cramp underwater in your calf in a suit that hampers your flexibility :)

15. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I go snorkeling regularly. Yourself being a diver, you are probably aware here in Grand Cayman we have some of the best diving in the world.

I've lived here a couple of years now and am disgusted with myself that I haven't done my PADI course yet. Whenever I go to book it though something seems to change my schedule so I have to put it off.

There are some awesome snorkel spots, but for divers, well, I live at a dive site. The drop off in my 'back yard' is around 6000ft I believe. I am told there are fantastic trenches and drop-offs there.

I like to go to Starfish Point over in Kaibo to snorkel, or the coral garden near the world-famous Stingray City out on the North Sound. We usually do that with our friends yacht or take a private charter out with lots of booze and music!

If anyone does visit Grand Cayman, say for the day on a cruise ship, you can head to Eden Rock in George Town straight off the boat. It's a popular spot, mainly because of the epic drop-off out of the port which is breathtaking even when you are snorkeling!

If you visit the island for longer I have been told by friends that a trip to Little Cayman is even better for diving. Make sure to book a flight with Cayman Airways out to the tiny sister island if you come visit (then come back and give me a call and we'll hit the beach bars!). :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I hope my BCD is still serviceable! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have scuba dived the great barrier reef a couple of times and was totally blown away. Awesome stuff.

However, i am not a trained diver, here you can sign a piece of paper and be under the water 10 mins later. It sounds dodgy but i am still here to tell the tale 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if your guided by a certified diver of an appropriate level to 'lead' you can do that most places, certification is not a requirement
    that said, if you were out on your own (or just with an equally unqualified buddy) it would indeed seem 'teh dodge'

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah, that makes a lot of sense and yep, both times with a very experienced instructor. :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)