Azure

Discussion in 'Software' started by jvanassen, Feb 22, 2014.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

I haven't really seen much on this forum regarding Windows Azure so thought I would make a post and see peoples opinion on this topic. The company I work for currently have a couple of in house data centres around the country. We are a small team and Azure looks like it could take away alot of stress from us supporting our own data centres from travelling to them, supporting the hardware, warranty, updates, backups, licensing, capacity planning and much more including the cost of running the data centres.

Just wondering if there is anyone out there currently using Azure for their core environment or looking to do this. Also should I see it as a concern that if we went down this route I would loose all my on premise experience and possibly be overlooked for future roles in other company's or should I not be concerned and this is just the way IT is going with Microsoft offering solutions like this and Office 365.

I guess another interesting question for this topic, will the requirement of having physical experience with server and networking hardware become a thing of the past with solutions like this.

Interested to hear other peoples opinions.....

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree that an element of the 'cottage industry' part of IT is slowly disappearing and yes it will likely get harder to get many of the entry level IT jobs we used to have in the past.

Large data centers, Cloud computing, and Dev-Ops are likely to become more common with less SOHO style set ups.

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends on the broadband speeds your customers have. Most of my customers cannot get a decent broadband connection and the cost of leased lines are too much therefore onsite servers are still the way to go.

Speaking to other Cloud consultants they agree that the hybrid model will probably be the way most IT environments will be designed. So expect some servers onsite and some resources going to the cloud.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs