Awaiting word back from interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SlideAway, Nov 19, 2008.

1. SlideAway

SlideAway New Member

Well, it's been over a week now since my interview for a 2nd level IT support job and still now word back from the agency. I've phoned the agency dealing with the job (computerpeople) and keep getting through to reception who say that the person whom i have been dealing with is busy (four times now!!). Each time the receptionist says that the recruiter is meaning to phone me back and that they are still awaiting feedback from the company. I've been an IT support analyst for over two years now but have never dealt with an agency before. am i being too impatient / has anybody else had similar experiences?

cheers for any info....

Certifications: MCSE, CCNA, A+, N+, Security+
    WIP: 70-653
  2. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Unfortunately it's a common situation with agents; they will only contact you if you've been offered that position, or if another job is available with your skills.

Concentrate on other opportunities, but keep your phone nearby.

Good luck.

3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

What he said^... keep your fingers crossed.. best wishes

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep I agree, if you don't hear anything by the end of next week then you probably haven't been sucessful this time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

No news is bad news I am afraid nevermind sure there will other jobs for you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

With job losses, those recruiters are probably extremely busy... so it's no wonder that they've been busy when you called. Plus, if the hiring company is busy, they might not have had time to make their determination.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but the places that most need technicians are often the places that are slowest to respond. When stuff is "on fire", the fires have to be put out... things don't just go "on hold" while they review candidates for jobs. So it can often take weeks (or, in extreme cases, months) before a decision is made.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think it's smart to wait a long while, particularly if you need more techs to help get more stuff done... but that's simply the reality of working in IT. It happens.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

This is very true !! SlideAway good luck with your hunting.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

First of all, you have done extremley well on your Certs over the past two years in IT.

Achieveing A+, N+, Security+, MCSE and CCNA in that period is damned impressive!

You do seem very over qualified for a first line position, but that is bye the by.

In relation to the job, my gut feeling would be that you have not recieved the job. Most companies advertise a post because they require it to be fillled ASAP.

This is regardless of whether they have been 'fire fighting' or not. In fact this would highlight the fact that they need more hands on deck ASAP.

Just keep plugging away, you will break into second line soon!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Again, what I say may seem to be counter-intuitive, because the fact that you need more hands on deck ASAP means that they **should** get someone in as soon as possible. But there are only so many hours in a day, and only so many hands on deck to get stuff done. Trust me - I've worked at several places where we've simply been too busy to hire someone (and don't forget... too busy to TRAIN someone) so that we can get unbusy.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

You never know but it does seem unliekly that you'll get a positive response the longer it goes on. the lead up to Xmas is always fraught and the current finanical climate could mean that the job had previously been ok'd is now back under financial review. I know that my current company have had their IT budget squashed by the directors so no training and possibley no one to replace me when I leave in a weeks time.

The best thing to do is get your C.V out there, put it on the job websites, send it off to the local businesses you like the look of and see what comes back. I'd all but accepted a position when at the last minute I got the job offer I really was looking for.

Good luck!:D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  11. SlideAway

SlideAway New Member

thanks for all the advice, it's been greatly appreciated. yeah, it's just the not knowing that get's me but if that's the way it works sometimes then so be it. onwards and upwards!!

Certifications: MCSE, CCNA, A+, N+, Security+
    WIP: 70-653
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! that's the attitude as something would come when you least expect, best wishes and keep plugging away:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell