AVG version update

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nugget, Nov 12, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ok, heads up folks. For those of you using Grisoft AVG Free 6 antivirus take note; this version will be retired at the end of December and replaced with AVG Free 7.

Find out more here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that nugget, are you using it yet? any major differences?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Cheers for the nod, Nugg

*atcha*

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I installed it on friday Phil, and I've got to say that it is really nice. Still quite simple as was version 6, but with a few more features.:thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have to agree with you Nugget...its really good indeed...thanks guys :D...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Just updated to version 7 the other day and on my first complete scan of my system it had uncovered 30 files that it deemed to be of a virus nature one of which was a trojan (ouch !!!). All very good but here come the not so good parts, after finding these files it would not heal or send them to the virus vault, it was as though most of the anti virus components were not activated, almost like a demo version. Next theres the problem with my master rom drive not reading any disc when inserted but if you leave the disc in and reboot it will read the disc and not read any other until you repeat the process of rebooting again.

Is there an activation date for the new avg like when the older one expires and is there a setting that can fix my rom issue ? :dry

WIP: mcp/ccna
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK, open the avg control center, go to information, about avg free, and tell me which version you have.

Also, when you open the control center you should see the relevant areas that the program controls. You can go into each of these and configure how each of these are set up. It should all be configured and running from the moment you installed the program.

Did you upgrade from v6 or is it a new install? On all of my machines I took the upgrade route with an existing registration number so I don't quite know what happens with a new v7 install.

There is no demo version of v7 that I know of so maybe you might want to try uninstalling, rebooting, and then re-installing again.

As for the cd-rom, try going into the properties of the cd-rom drive and checking if autoplay is deactivated.

HTH

8. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

I had avg 6 free on my machine but uninstalled it when updating to 7. I'll try an just disable then re-enable the drive in the hardware properties and see if that sorts it, I'm actually at work at the moment so I cant check the exact version of avg at the moment but I'll get on it when i go home in the morning.

Thanks Again.

Dave

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You don't need to disable/uninstall AVG 6 before you install v7. It does that for you, updates, installs and replaces what it needs to.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I like AVG 7 too, except for the fact that it wont allow you to install it on a domain controller or server. During installation it displays a message saying this is for home use only and cannot protect a server :cry: AVG6 had been protecting my home server for three years without problems. Now I have Macafee Entreprise and it has slowed my DC down to a crawl. AVG is the only virus solution I have found to date that does not hog system resources and slow machines down!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You sure about this, Pete ? I run it on my servers at work (not DC's tho) without any probs ....:hhhmmm

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've run AVG on one PC for months and it behaved very well, seemingly catching whatever virus that was thrown at it. I upgraded his morning, updated the virus defs which I do very 2 or 3 days, and ran a virus check (the older version ran a check by default once every 24 hours). The thing caught 15 viruses and trojans in just a few minutes. I can only believe that they were on the machine all along and the upgraded version caught them when the prior version did not.

Anybody else have a similar (and shocking) experience?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well, I am sure that it would not let me install it on my W2K Advanced server, the install gave me the message and terminated without asking me whether I wanted to continue or not. However, it may have been because it was a domain controller. I haven't tried it on a server that is not a DC but from what you have said it would probably work okay.

I am aware that it is not a good idea to virus check certain files and folders including sysvol on a domain controller because the AV software marks the file as read and hence alters it and will cause the files to be replicated which will then cause heavy replication traffic and could cause network problems! So, maybe AVG can't be configured to exclude them?

Check this link to Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822158&Product=win2000

Pete

14. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Yeh Trip, the same happened to me. I upgraded to 7 and on the first scan it had uncovered 30virus type files including 2 trojans. Once the scan completes though it does not heal or send these files to the vault. Anyone shed some light ?

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Trip and Diamondgeezer, what does it say in the AVG report? If the viri are still active on your hard drive, then I would suspect AVG could not heal, delete or move them to the vault because they are locked because they are being used by windows. It might be worth creating a set of recovery disks using the AVG utility, booting from those and running a scan from them or try running AVG in safe mode.

If all else fails, post a question on the new AVG forum, the link is in the help section of the program. You need to register but it is still free :biggrin

Pete

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I went in, found where they were hiding and manually deleted the suckers. Take no prisoners. Fortunately, none of the infected files affect the machine.

Certifications: A+ and Network+