AVG (AV) Slows down PC, what alternative?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zr79, Sep 15, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

As you all know Anti-Virus software and other diagnostic software can slow down the PC massively, it is unreal how much it chokes the PC up, what would your alternative be for a customer.

I personally don't use it as if your Windows is updated and you don't download and install any dodgy files then you can't get infected, simple. All the RPC worm entry points are patched etc...

So should i just go for the Windows update route and forget AV?

I could install a 3rd party firewall but then that requires you to allow, or disallow, trusted connections such as IE when you connect out, yep just clicking yes or no, now this is easy to you and me but to a novice who's PC you are fixing, well it is an added struggle for them...

Certifications: A+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Err, I wouldn't ever advise not having any sort of protection - you never know what's on a cd/usb stick etc. (even MS once distributed a virus on some cd's of Office 97).

AVG is not particularly instrusive so I'm surprised to see you're noticing problems.

Persoannly I'd go for the ESET Home Sec suite (firewall, av etc.) which has a particularly small "footprint".

See : www.eset.co.uk

Def avoid Norton !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As already said, AVG doesn't really hog to much in the way of resources. If it is causing a problem, have you tried unistalling and installing the latest file from their site?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

system specs of the computer?

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I would uninstall/ reinstall and see if that helps the problem.
    If not.. another vote for ESET's Smart Security :)

7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I am happy with BitDefender Antivirus 2009 (although I did like 2008 better)

WIP: Uhmm... not sure