Average salary for I.T / PC Technician job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Sep 13, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hey Guys.

I just got my first pay rise and am now on 16k per annum. I have been working as a technician for just over 7 months and have got some really good experience at my work place. I do pc desktop support, first / second line on the phone, AD, some server expsoure, AV equipment etc.

I was wonderin what the salary for an I.T tech was? with some experience and outside of london. I in the midlands btw.

fatp.

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Difficult one to answer.

It depends on where you're situated (ok, so you're in the Midlands) as well as what size company you're working for and what you do.

I'd say the range is prob £11 1/2k to £18k down near me (Bournemouth area) with the average somewhere in the middle.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I work in the Midlands too. I'd say for your level of experience and the exposure that you're getting, that's not a bad wage. I can't really say what the 'average' is as there are far too many variables (as already mentioned by UKD).

But don't worry. You're not on a bad packet :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pay rise!

The salary seems OK.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Arroryn

Where abouts are you Craigie? You should be Second Line by your appraisal, shouldn't you? (remember threads where things were going particularly well for you...)

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Im in the same place as Dom and Modey :)

Currently working as a seconded Second Line, playing around with some Third Line stuff (clients we have to fix), Xenapp Presentation Server and Cisco Call Manager.

I do have some news, but cannot post until it's offical (as some colleagues read these forums).

Hence the reason why I had to edit my previous post.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Arroryn

Aaahh. Rightho.

Considering it's a first IT job, mainly first line, in the Midlands - I'd say that it being 'mediocre' is a mite unfair. 'competitive to industry' is more along the lines...

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I thought the salary was ok for a first IT job :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I think FatP has done extremley well recieveing a pay rise.

However, I would say that a low wage in the Midlands is £14K for a Helpdesk Job (regardless of age) and that £19K is high.

Have to remember that wages are only a part of your overall package, other things like pension, holiday entitlement, bonus etc have to be taken into account as well.

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thought that was what mediocre means, let me check the dictionary :)

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Eek thought that Mediocre meant OK, seems it means not very good.

FatP revision to average/OK :)

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Run that one past me again, or am I missing something? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Do you mean Dom & Ken? Last time I checked Dom & Modey was the same person :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Dammit, I think my brain has gone to mush from all this studying!

I live in Northamptonshire, same place as Wagnerk & Modey work.

I think I better go take another pill... :)

15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Save some for me! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

what was this thread about again? :biggrin

Need a drink.... :slidedrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

I'm not entirely sure myself what is average, but I'm in the Northwest and my package is £15,000 - with pension, travel insurance, medical insurance + 25days per annum holiday. We get pay/performance review every 3month. The company is only young and a lot of space for progression as they're currently expanding

HTH some :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST