Average pay??

Discussion in 'A+' started by elli5on, Dec 12, 2005.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

what is the average pay for a A+ engineer in the uk? im studying n+ as well if this makes a difference.
    :biggrin

cheers

craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

depends on skill, experience, job function and location

try doing a search for A+ on jobserve and checking the salaries quoted.

For entry level positions you're looking at anything from 12k to 20 depending on locatoin and job

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I take it when you say entry level, you mean a beginner? im based in nottingham, i was told for an engineer with roughly a years experience will be earning about 19k..... :biggrin

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

possibly.. it's hard to say.. depends on who you're working for and what you're doing....

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, my place we start at approx £10k upwards. It really does depend on what else you have, who you work for, etc. I personally have seen anywhere from £10k - £15k for a starter, up to £22k for A+ with 6 months to a year experience (but these are far & few).

You could look on these job & salary websites, but the only downfall is that they take the average pay from all over the country and they disregard the amount of time working, for example they would group a beginner that's just started on say £10k working up north and average it out with say someone who's on £22k with 5 years experience working in London. So by their logic the average salary is £16k for someone working in IT (example only)

But then again, it does give a rough guide :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The sector that you work in affects things too.

I work in public sector (school), and although I'm fairly well paid as a Network Manager, a Technician can be on as little as £11K. Where as a Technician who works in another area of the public sector and does exactly the same job can be on £17K.

If you then cross to the private sector things change depending on how the company feels towards IT, E.g. If they are proactive with IT then they will likely pay more than a place that simply uses it out of market necessity.

A lot of what gets paid in IT depends on the person who controlls the budget's mindset towards the technology.

8)