AV protection test results

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ffreeloader, Dec 21, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

A German company has tested AV products for their ability to identify malware, and the results don't look good.

You can read the rest of the article at the following link.

http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/100900

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Interesting comment on that report from ElReg here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not so sure I agree with one of his statements about online scanners. All any malware writer needs to improve the ability of his product to evade detection is copies of AV to test against, and if they are getting more professional, then they have the money to get them, so in that sense blaming online scanners for the improvements in malware is a raft of bull.

I hadn't seen anything on that Russian site before though. That's a rather interesting way to make a living. Here, come show us your malware and we won't go tell the AV companies..... Makes you wonder just how smart malware writers are if they are actually making use of the site. They're actually paying a potential competitor to show them their newest ideas..... Seems a tad self-defeating to me.

Good link, Harry.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1