Author Dies

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by AJ, Jul 8, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Bit late I know but I thought as it hadn't been mentioned yet, I would post the linky

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8085289.stm

David Edding was my favourite read, in fact I'm in the middle of the Mallorian at the moment.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I saw that but regret to say his name didn't ring any bells with me.

I used to be heavily into sci-fi authors but my ex-wife trimmed back my paperback collection and these days trying to fit in some leisure reading time is more difficult.

I tend to favour Frank Herbert, EE "Doc" Smith, Harry Harrison, Anne McCaffrey and the like.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

RIP David. :cry:

He was also one of my favourites too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sad news indeed, I loved the Belgariad & Mallorean. The Sparhawk books were also very good, but I struggled with his more recent stuff. Sounds sexist, but ever since his books were co-written by his misses I thought they were poor. I think they claimed they always were right from the start but I don't buy it.

Anyway, great author non the less.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I was a huge fan at one point, polishing off the Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium and Tamuli, but when I got the redemption of Althalus I was sorely dissapointed, and so haven't yet plucked up the courage to pick up any of his new series of books.

As fantasy goes, the Belgariad and Mallorean are probably my favorite fantasy series of books (Even over LOTR). A man whose talents I will surely miss in the future.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

How did I miss that? Thats really sad. Modey I thought all his books were co authored by his wife, she just didnt get the billing on the older ones?

A great talent that will be missed.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'd heard that, the ball and chain introduced me to the belgariad, and the follow up series to that. Loved it completely. I've read it at least twice.

Shame really, although I havent read any other of his books.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yup I mentioned that in my post. But .... I think one of the first novels when she was credited on the book was the Redemtion of Althalus, which I still have in hard back and never finished because it was just a load of rubbish. Before I bought it, you would have never heard me saying that about about an Eddings book.

So my theory is, she never really did have a hand in the good books. Could be wrong, but I don't care. Still sad that he's dead though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Read the Belgariad and Mallorean long, long ago... enjoyed them immensely.

Godspeed, David.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!