Australia

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ickles, Mar 29, 2007.

1. ickles

ickles New Member

Hi guys

Heard from a little birdie there were a few auzzie members.... Im thinking of relocating to Brisbane, Goldcoast this year and was wondering if anyone had any pointers as to goood sites to visit when job hunting. Is the print/design and web industry strong over there?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Certifications: HND Graphic Design
    WIP: ACITP Certificate Web Design
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi,
    Bluerinse will be along soon, he lives on the G/Coast and will help.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

"Soon" is a relative term. He's asleep right now but should be along in six to eight hours.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Oooohhhh!!!!

Sorry teach!!:twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  5. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Hi Ickles!

Is it as easy as that? I thought there was a very strict point scoring system to achieve access to australia?

Whilst on the subject, would IT certs stand you in good stead to help gain access to move to Oz? Its something I would be interested in, but didnt know whether my job would be one of those deemed "desirable" enough to warrant citizenship in their lovely country by the powers that be?

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  6. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

WIP: MCSA 2003
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi ickes, just got up and it's not even 8am yet, one thing about living downunder is that it plays havoc with your on-line communication but it's all worthwhile.

Firstly Brisbane and The Gold Coast are two different places. I live on the Gold Coast, which is primarily a holiday resort - Brisbane is an hours drive north of here and is a small city, so the work in Brisbane is far easier to find than here on the coast, as there are way more large businesses which cater for a more diverse range of consumers and not so much just tourists.

Australia is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to anything technological, computer, the Internet and networking as a whole has only recently started to take off. What i was saying five years ago, about Australia being left behind in the high speed Internet race, is only now being mentioned by government as a topic worth including in their manifestos.

As for job sites i am not sure, as i work for myself and hence haven't tried to seek work but there are recruitment agencies which do cater for IT personnel and according to Michele, my better half this site is worth a look..

http://it.seek.com.au/

Good luck with your emigration, i know the process can be a long and painful one but it is well worth it in the end. If you really want to get here you can but the bureaucracy can sometimes be very off putting - this is a good thing, as it keeps the immigrants down to people that *really* can contribute or want to contribute to the nation rather that be a social leech, as happens far too often in the UK.

Hope that helps,

Pete (the pom)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)