Auditing file, Folder and Printer access help

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by j1mgg, Dec 23, 2010.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I started doing the 271 microsoft training kit and am working through it the past couple of days.

I am at the stage above (3-38) and it isnt too clear.

I want to enable auditing on a folder i have created.

I have changed audit object access to success.

Now i have right clicked on the folder and selected properties, but i have general, sharing and customization tabs, no security as it says in the book.

I am running evaluation xp pro, set up in a workgroup.

Cheers

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Right click start/explore click on tools and folder options click on the view tab and scroll to the bottom and untick enable simple file sharing. That should do the trick

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Cheers, done the trick.

Maybe I should of got a 3rd party book.

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Don't be too hard on the book. Simple file sharing isn't available in a domain environment and that's where most of the files worth auditing are, and also where most techs work. You could probably successfully argue that if it's worth auditing it needs to be in a more secure environment than simple file sharing provides. My guess is that section of the book was originally going to come after the section on simple file sharing, which is why there's no mention of it.
    Have a look for the errata (search on o'Reilly.com using the ISBN number iirc), they'll save a fair bit of head-scratching and googling when something doesn't seem to make sense.*

*although it wouldn't have helped here

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

The 271 is going fine and getting through it because it is dead at work, so hopefully will get onto the 272 and easily pass before it retires.