audio study aids

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by dales, Dec 4, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has come across any good audio study aids for the beast, with the recent addition of my 2nd daughter im finding it hard to study in the evenings. I did get the preplogic audio for the 290 but the total lack of personality in the delivery ment he might has be reading the yellow pages. Has anyone found anything better that i could stick on in my car.

ta

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

Boson has some good ones. See www.boson.com/

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks for the suggestion but the samples on both boson and prep logic sound like the same guy so perhaps prep logic bought distribution rights or summint. Bit too robotic in the presentation for me im afraid.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I think only about 30% of the MCSA material could be covered in an audio format. Theres a lot of subnetting, UI, command and architecture stuff thats better with pictures or examples.

I tried the preplogic stuff and also found it awful, they try to cover some of the other 70% and it just makes no sense in that format. I think 1-2 hour lab sessions with the book and a few VM's are definitely the way forward. If you can't fit this in probably better to put it on hold.

Many local colleges run evening classes for the MCSA, this at least gives you a schedule and gets you out of the house so you can concentrate. However I found in the end I was better off with self study.

5. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

Congrats on the birth of your daughter, I too have recently become a father and have found it hard to find the time to continue my study between work and changing nappies.

Can't really help with the 291 exam but if/when you upgrade to 2k8, the CBT provider Trainsignal now provide mp3 and mp4 files with their courses. I have found these really helpful in getting me back in to study mode given the limited free time I have. When things begin to get in to more of a routine I will fire up the home lab again.

Best of luck
    Donmac

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks on both accounts, I agree that the 291 is mostly a practical exam, and whilst i can fire up the lab for an hour or so every couple of days and read a bit of my book at lunchtime, just thought that my travelling time might be a good way of stuffing a bit more in my brain!