Audio Splitter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok guys, im not really sure this should be in this forum but here goes:

I got a DVD player with 5.1 Surround sound for xmas. now the surround sound system only has 6 input connections (all analog - for each of the 6 channels).

Heres the problem, i want to connect both my DVD player, AND my xbox to this system, so i need a splitter/switch of some sort, but have no idea what it would be called or where to get it.

theres a further complication though! the Xbox only has optical output for surround sound! so i need to find a switch that will accept the digital output, but give this to the surround sound system as analog!

Any ideas???

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hmmm, can't see any obvious (by which I mean affordable) solutions offhand for this one Fergal - by what you describe, your looking at some sort of semi-pro mixing console to achieve this, eg multi-inputs, some onboard processing and then multi-outs as well, and thats before you even consider the optical part of the equation.

Saying that, I've no idea what sort of audio accessories are actually out there specifically for PC-based setups - might be worth just a good scout around all the usual online haunts we generally recommend for purchases.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Sorry, should've said, the system isnt PC based. its just a DVD player and a surround sound system (Home Cinema System thingie!)

I think the best bet would be to pick up a decent (but cheap) amp, and set the current amp/subwoofer to just be a subwoofer! then pick up a subwoofer at a later date!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present