ATX Reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dixied, Aug 16, 2011.

1. dixied

dixied New Member

My laptop, a HP G62, wouldn't power on. When you pressed the on button nothing happened, no indications. Took it to PC World as it was under warranty and the tech guy checked it out and it was the same. This was a good 24 hours after I had tried it. He also pointed out that the PSU was good as it has a little LED on the laptop to indicate it was getting power.

Just went to pick it up as it now works. The tech guy said it needed an ATX reset because we'd let the battery run flat. I pointed out that we were powering from the mains when it wouldn't work and there was a 24 Hr gap between him plugging it in in store after I had tried it at home. He waffled some crap about capacitors discharging.

As you may have guessed from my tone I'm not convinced by his explanation, so I thought I'd get some independant expert advice. Does this ATX reset ring true to anyone or do you think they're fobbing me off because
    they don't know what was wrong with it? I'm concerned it may be masking another problem.

Many thanks

Dix

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Never heard of an ATX reset before now, but it appears to exist. Though a quick google seems to suggest that it is mostly used to diagnose power problems, having a flat battery should not really cause it not to power on (as long as the power cord is plugged in and charging ok). I would test the laptop out as much as possible to make sure the issue does not re-occur, if it does I'd be asking for a replacement.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

An ATX reset.. Isn't that just a CMOS/BIOS reset?

That would imply there was something wrong with your BIOS settings, I suspect...

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Usually if something like that happens to me I remove the battery, hold the power switch on for a couple of seconds and then re-seat the battery, usually works for me.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

That is aparently an ATX reset then, must admit I've never heard of it before now, I expect its something GBL would know more about though. Would be interesting to see if its in a reset MM AIO book somewhere, as most of the hits on ATX rest I found were on gateway laptops (shudders).

The capacitor bit I suspect is BS if capacitors have no charge at all and wont charge up then they need changing, which is a job for a steady hand and a soldering iron.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think it's more to do with the charging circuit getting itself in a twist, I have a good friend (my best mate actually) who designs battery charging systems for the military, film and tv industry and his advice on issues with batteries is always remove the battery from a device if it's not being powercycled (ie you constantly run a laptop on mains only, don't leave the battery in it) and if there are issues with batteries not charging try removing, holding the power switch and re-seating after a couple of minutes, this releases any charge left in the capacitors and usually kick starts the charging process again.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. dixied

dixied New Member

Thanks all for the comments. The problem hasn't re-occured and it's been a few days now. Something still makes me think the tech guy was full of it though.

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I believe there are BIOS utilities that recalibrate batteries as well. Maybe it's the charging circuit they recalibrate. Makes sense either way.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job