ATX PSU with Intel Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Nov 23, 2006.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Right here is my problem for years I've used AMD CPU's and have bought ATX PSU's. I've just updated my PC and bought a Core Due 2 CPU and wanted to use my old PSU as it's a good one. Looking on the Motherboard there isn't anywhere to fit it properly. Where the power lead plugs in on the motherboard it's bigger than the connecter on my PSU but will fit with 4 extra plugs at the end. Is this correct with Intel boards? or do you have to buy specific PSU to use with an Intel motherboard. Bit of a thick quetion but I haven't touch an Intel board for years.

Cheers in advance

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Are the extra four holes for a P4 socket? Does your PSU have an individual connector that will fit in the extra holes like this?

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

slypie,

What make and model motherboard are you using?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Actually mate I had the same problem, shock and horror when I saw the power lead to the mother board was bigger connection 24 pin connection and on the motherboard was 20 pin.

Then I realised you can spilt the connector into two:oops:

1 = 4 pin 1 = 20 pin

The PSU was a Xilence ATX2.0 420w PSU

If your looking a powerful but very quiet PSU then I would highly recommend these:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

are you saying the "slot" on the mobo is bigger than the connector yet the connector fits? thats ok i seen quite a few pc's like that! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

No I am saying the xilence has a 24 pin connector on the psu, the mobo has 20 pin atx connection. But the 24 pin coonector can be unlocked to make a 4 pin connector like the Baba has and a 20 pin connector8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. michael78

I've solved the problem my motherboard is an ATX2.0 24pin motherboard but my PSU is 20pin. I've read that they are backward compatible. Another problem I've found is that I bought a ATI X1950XT PCI-E card and the sodden thing needs a 6 pin connector which I've never seen before so it looks like it's a trip to Maplins for me...:(

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The 24pin connector is the current standard for motherboards, not just Intel. While you *may* get it to work with a 20 pin PSU I wouldn't advise it.

Get a new PSU - all new ones are 24 pin. And many come with the plugs for some of the power hungry PCI-E cards.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And SATA plugs too :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I just bought a Hiper 580w psu. That comes with SATA plugs PCI-e plugs and a 24pin mobo plug which splits to 4 pin and 20 pin plug if needed. Its also a very quiet psu and modular so you only need to plug in the cables you need.

Also do'es your mobo have another 4 pin socket on it? i noticed that the newer ones do and they require power to be supplied there too....

PSu linky http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/98562

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. michael78

Just bought it from PCworld for £60, cheers for the info...:D

13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I am actually using that psu on my system now. I've had it about a month and can say im pleased with how quiet it is... My last psu was like a feking jet engine comapred to this. Plus it has all the plugs i need, comes in a nice tool box with different length leads taht can all be chained (i believe Hiper will sell you extra leads if you contact them!!) and it does look cool in the black and silver mesh.

I was going to have it lit inthe case but as its built into my desk and there are no windows in it i dont see the point. Case modding can only go so far and still be reasonable!!

14. michael78

Ahh man another stumbling block. My motherboard also has an 8 pin connector on it as a secondary power input but my new Hiper PSU doesn't come with one. Any ideas as to what it is and what I need.

It shows how long it's been since I've built a new PC...:oops:

15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. michael78

Finally figured it out. My PSU isn't compatible with my motherboard. It had all the connectors and should of worked according to Foxconn and Jeantech but doesn't. Got my money back and bought another PSU and all is well.

Total pain in the backside to sort this one out as I've never heard of this type of problem before. Cheers to everyone for the help...:D

17. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Glad u sorted it Slypie, Pity the Hiper didnt work for you as im finding it a nice psu in my system.....

Its rare to get a PSU that isnt compatible with a mobo if both are new... obviuolsy buying an new mbo and an old psu may present problems or vice versa, but both items being new you'd thing they'd work. Most psu connections are pretty standard on mobos whether they be AMD or Intel one, You must have lucked out on picking one of the few with a different connection....