Attention all CIW Site Designer candidates

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by dee1810, Nov 15, 2005.

1. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

I have recently noticed that the CIW Site Designer exam is now changing to Version 5. The exam is in the beta stage as we speak.

This is going to cause a massive inconvenience to me, but these things are out of my control.
    Scheidegger have given me the courtesy of a phone call to explain how it will affect me, but there again, I did e-mail them asking for guidance.
    If having to go through Foundations again isn't enough, now V5 Site Designer is coming out too.

Anyone who is study for this exam, please be very very careful about the books and the course material that you are studying.
    I wouldn't want to sit in an exam with the wrong material whizzing round my head.

I'm glad I checked....

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

the current exam won't be retired till next june, so this ought not to cause you a problem

http://www.ciwcertified.com/exams/1d0420.asp?comm=CND&llm=2

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Thank you for the link, Clyde... :D

The only thing that makes me worry, is that the exam is out before the next updated course material. I'm not expecting mine until January 2006...

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

not sure I follow... as I see it, you can take the current exam up until mid next year - or are you saying you've yet to get the materials ?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

I don't know whether I have misunderstood, but I was told that it expired in July 2005. This is the point of my post, there seems to be a lot of confusion flying about. Yes, I am going to take notice of what the CIWcertified site says.. but no.. I'm just getting to the end of V5 Foundations.
    I have already done v4 Site Designer, but I have to sit the exam next spring.... :hhhmmm

No I don't have V5 in my possession yet...

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

CIW v5 material is hard to come by in the UK at the moment.
    Most of the revisions seem to be minor so whatever happens you should be OK.
    Don't tell your training provider, wait and see if they notice...

:twisted: :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Oh, JonnyMX

They didn't notice at all. You can imagine the mad scramble to try to find out what was happening.. :twisted:
    I was really only listening to the part about my course duration time would be extended until May 06 without charge.

Weird things is that none of the other students have asked them about it either...

they did say something about the exam being out before the course material, and that I needed to be aware...

8. komal

komal New Member

hi dee1810

i see that you are with scheidegger too, and your doing the ciw course, im doing webmaster only.

i signed up for the course in july and i've gto about 2 more months till i finish it then i'll be on the practical training, just want to know how long does it take for the practical lessons? and are you given your garanteed job straight away?

cheers

WIP: WEBMASTER
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Uh....in reality, it is very difficult for any training provider to guarantee to find you a job. They can't control the job market so how could they make a company hire their graduates? I've never heard a satisfactory explanation as to how they work this out. If a training provider graduate who *has* been "guaranteed a job can explain to the rest of us how this works (or point me to the thread at CF if it's already been explained), I'd apprecate it. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. komal

komal New Member

the man that had come to my house said to me that as soon as you finish everything you will be put to work and don't know how that works myself, i dont even have a contact number of his, i just remember his surname. i think he said something like they work with a large number of companies helping them recruit skilled people, which are us lot who are training under them to work with them.

WIP: WEBMASTER
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

They probably do work with a number of area companies and I don't doubt they can put their students in contact with these potential employers but you still have to pass the interview and there still has to be available positions. All I'm suggesting is just take this guarantee with a proverbial "grain of salt" and don't overlook the possibility that you'll end up doing your own job search.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That sounds a bit scarey.
    Is it down a mine?

13. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

Anyway,

I don't know what you guys are on about with the version five thing.

I'm doing c.i.w. website design manager course. I started four and a half months ago and i'm doing version five now.

As for the job garuntee, i'm with scheidegger. Yes they do make
    a promise, but it does come from a sales man and they can be
    very clever with their wording and they don't give you any such
    garuntee in writing.

I'm sure however, they will try as best they can to get us into
    the field, but as i say, there is no guaruntee. The way I see it is
    there are plenty of other things you get out of the course and
    this is just the first of many more certifications to come.

Certifications: none yet :-{
    WIP: C.I.W. website design manager
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Version 5 foundation has been around since the beginning of this year.
    Version 5 site designer and e-commerce designer were beta-tested last month so I'd be verry surprised if any training provider had a package in place that long ago.

Still, anything's possible.