ATI snapped up by AMD for $5.4B. Is NVidia next?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kitkatninja, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Don't know if anyone has posted this already, and don't know where to post it so here it goes...

In a marriage of 'CPUs and GPUs' that follows weeks of speculation, AMD announced today that it will buy video and graphics solution provider ATI Technologies for $5.4 billion. During this morning's conference call (which I recorded as a podcast) AMD and ATI executives confirmed that the companies see a future where graphics technologies are integrated into the microprocessor in the way that AMD already integrates memory controller technology into the same dies as its CPUs. Does this deal make financial or strategic sense? How will Intel respond?

For full story click here.

I wonder how this is going to affect the hardware market now. Hope that this is a step in the right direction for CPU's.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LOL yeah i reckon Nvidia will be snapped by MS!:twisted: :twisted:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I hope not; it will probably mean you can only run MS products with Nvidea cards :tune

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT