At what stage in training do I need to run virtual OS'?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MrZiGrishenko, Oct 27, 2009.

1. MrZiGrishenko

MrZiGrishenko Bit Poster

HI all,

Before I get started I'm trying to piece together everything I need...books, resources, dvd's etc..I've heard that as I learn about networking and OS' and servers and all other installing OS' and troubleshooting I'm going to need to run virtual machines/virtual operating systems during my training.

Will I need this doing A+? or n N+? or when starting the Microsoft MCITP???

I'll need to buy the OS too won't I!!!! Single user licences won't be that much I dont think - £150 tops for a small business copy of a server 2003/2008?

please help on this issue

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

For the A+ you'll probably need: XP, Vista* and a computer you don't mind taking to bits.
    For the N+ I didn't need anything other than my minimalist home network
    For MCDST/MCITP: whichever OS and office suite is relevant (I've managed to struggle through without the office suite, my copy went tits just before I finished the 271 and my install disk is buried somewhere in storage)

I'd take it one step at a time mate. The road you're starting on may not seem very long and it's not a horribly steep climb but, once you get to the top, guess what? More bleeding hills (I'm pretty sure I can see some mountains in the distance too).

*I'm assuming the new A+ concentrates on these 2 OSs

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It can't hurt to start as soon as you can.

I setup a virtual network halfway through my A+ studies since I had the free trial copies of XP that came with my MS press books for the MCDST and I downloaded a free trial of win2k3 from Microsoft.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I agree with Bruce. The point of Virtual PCs / Servers outside of a production environment is that you can break them and restore them to a previously working state so basically you can't do any harm at all :) Before I attempt an exam I usually pay with the technology for a number of weeks before I even pick a book up. Thats what helped me pass 620/624 Vista exams. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. MrZiGrishenko

MrZiGrishenko Bit Poster

so your saying - that the A+ - xp/vista and an old pc to take to pieces.....

N+ - ive not got a home network or want one - so i just create a virtual network or something?

the for the MCTIP whichever is revelant - probly windows 7 - because server 2008 will work on it - i can run that virtually right???

thanks

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

you will find that a lot of the subject matter on the Network+ is theory based, or simply hardware based, so you do not need to build anything. If you can look at different types of cables, pieces of hardware, etc using sites such as Google images or Wikipedia then you should know have to get through this exam.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^

I found the virtual network really helped in the MCDST and only a little in the N+.

With the N+ it was better to actually know what the cables look like like and the connectors. You can download pictures of BNC connections, vampir clips and cat cables of all descriptions from the net.

With the A+ an old pc that you can take to pieces and rebuild and do installs on will help, you can get these from recycling centers sometimes for free or a small fee or pawn shops, you don't need nothing super duper.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Honestly, you don't need a virtual PC for the A+ or N+ (unless you don't have XP/Vista installed). It is helpful however since it allows you to upgrade/reinstall the operating system.
    I used one for the Vista exam and that's it.