Associate Windows Server Engineer - Hammersmith

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SimonD, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Chaps,

I have a role at work for an associate Windows Server Engineer, we have been looking for someone for this role for a while now and I asked my boss if I would put it on here, the job spec is as follows.

Job Role: Windows Server Engineer
    Reports To: Microsoft Server Manager
    Department: IS Technology

Position Purpose:
    We are looking for a dedicated, self-motivated, enthusiastic Windows Engineer with practical experience of supporting a Microsoft Server Infrastructure to join our highly skilled Windows team. This individual will focus on day-to-day operations, troubleshooting and support of the Corporate Infrastructure and Windows-based internet services for the world’s leading person-to-person betting exchange within the global engineering team.

Key Responsibilities / Duties:

1. Primarily responsible for the day-day BAU activities, managing and resolving 1st Line server issues and alerts.
    2. Assisting with administration and maintenance of the 500+ servers across our global data centres and members of the team as required.
    3. Assisting engineers with proactively maintaining and improving the infrastructure to prevent failures and improve performance, availability and resilience.
    4. Helping out with project work as required to ensure deadlines are met.
    5. Keeping abreast of technology changes and advances on behalf of the Windows 2nd line team

Current Team Challenges:

1. Migrating UK production servers to a new data centre.
    2. Delivering automation and self-service provisioning of VM’s using Microsoft System Centre.
    3. Ensuring >95% of servers are patched automatically each month.
    4. Migration from SharePoint 2003 to SharePoint 2010
    5. Rolling out Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1
    6. Management of Hyper-V R2 hosts and VM’s
    7. Ongoing standardisation of all of our environments and consistency with server builds using SCCM
    8. Delivering continuous improvements to monitoring bringing it up to industrial strength capabilities
    9. Improving the standard of pre and post build documentation
    10. Continuous upgrades of hardware to ensure all old hardware is retired

Key Working Relationships:

1. Engineers in other technical disciplines
    2. Department Heads
    3. Product development teams

Essential Experience Required:

1. Windows Server 2003/2008 Active Directory Administration
    2. Exchange 2003/2007/2010 Administration
    3. Windows server web hosting (IIS6, IIS7) technologies.
    4. Citrix XenApp administration
    5. Exposure to MOM/SCOM
    6. Exposure to Hyper-V

Desirable:

1. Experience using SMS/SCCM
    2. Experience with SharePoint 2003/2007/2010
    3. Knowledge of Blackberry Enterprise servers and handhelds (BES)
    4. Knowledge of SunSystems Finance applications
    5. Scripting experience e.g. Powershell, Vbscript, ASP, .NET, Perl
    6. MCTS, MCITP, MCSA or MCSE certified
    7. An appreciation of other technologies used in highly available heterogeneous environments (Networking, Databases, SAN/NAS, Unix/Linux etc.)

Key Skills and Attributes:

1. Proactive “can do” attitude to all aspects of systems administration
    2. Good technical knowledge of Windows Server 2003/2008
    3. Good technical knowledge of IIS Active Directory and Exchange Server 2003/2007/2010 knowledge including OWA, SMTP, GPO, DNS, replication and multi-site domains.
    4. Citrix XenApp and MS SQL Server 2003/2005 experience.
    5. Knowledge of monitoring and deployment products such as SCCM, SCOM and WSUS.
    6. Familiarity with virtualisation technologies (e.g. Hyper-V \ VMware \ Citrix Xen)
    7. Basic knowledge of SAN storage configuration, ideally with NetApp Ability to work with non-technical business staff to root cause operational issues
    8. Strong technical and analytical troubleshooting skills and logical fault diagnostic and root cause skills
    9. Willing to work on new technologies
    10. Attention to detail with a high degree of pride in work produced
    11. Proven ability & desire to innovate Able to operate within a highly technical team in a fast paced, pressurised environment
    12. Able to communicate with other engineers across Technology and IS Able to prioritise effectively and schedule workloads
    13. Adhere to clearly defined change management procedures

As far as salary is concerned I don't know what's on offer but if I tell you that I stopped contracting after 12 years and went perm here last year it should tell you something, also want to add that I commute between 5 - 6 hours a day as well.

The work here is varied and we are always busy.

If you're interested PM me and I will put you forward to the application site.

I have to advise that replies may be a tad slow as I will be out of the country from the 15th until the 25th, I will be accessing mails occasionally so please be patient.

Simon

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Folks, I have been informed that the salary for the Associate position tops out at £38k, if you're interested please let me know.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

..... oh so tempting, I wish! :)

Would be great if someone saw the advert on here and got the job!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would be so interested in the post, if it wasn't for the fact that it is in Hammersmith (nothing against Hammersmith, just the distance). I'd see my family even less :(

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well I commute from Colchester most days, it's a fair distance but the job makes up for it.

6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

@SimonD

Added reputation posting job offers for others deserves recognition in my view.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots