Associate of (isc) - SSCP

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by shadds, Mar 9, 2009.

1. shadds

shadds Bit Poster

Hi all I was just looking at the ISC2 associate program with the aim of gaining the SSCP certification. From what i understand by becoming a associate i have to pass the exam for the certification i eventually want to gain in this case the SSCP, and once i have the relevant work experience i can gain the SSCP is this correct?

The reason i am asking is that i am currently a university student and am starting a 13 month placement with conoco philips in july working on there network and SAP equipment. I was wondering if this would qualify for the years experience needed to gain the qualifcation and move from associate to the full blown SSCP qualification.

Just a few other questions
    1. does the SSCP have an expiry timer like the CCNA ?
    2. is the certification relevent (im taking a MEng degree in computer networks and serurity) and am trying to further my knowledge on the security side
    3. does anyone have any books/websites which are good for self study? (from what i have seen what i have learned from my CCNA modules is related in some form to the SSCP material.

Many thanks in advance

WIP: CCNA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Seems that is the case.

It depends if the experience that you gain is what is required.

To be honest, I'm not sure if work placement would give you that kind of experience.

1. I can't find any expiry date like the CCNA, however in order to keep the certification you have to do x amount of CPD

2. That's down to you and what route you want to go down. At this moment in time, it's not relevant for me but it may be at some point in time (or not)...

3. IC2 have some educational material, see here. Or check out Amazon...

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. shadds

shadds Bit Poster

Thanks for the info wagnerk il get intouch with my placement and ask about in more detail about what i will be doing once i start. I reckon it might be worth my while taking the exam or at least reading up on it. As soon as i get my next loan installment Im intending on takin the CCNA and if im ready might have alook at the SSCP around the same time.

Many thanks again

WIP: CCNA