ASP.Net Web Site Administration Tool

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Big Dave, May 30, 2006.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave New Member

Thanks to this site I didn't go with UK IT Training but going with the self study route which is going well but have a few issues setting up my system.
    I'm running Visual Studio 2005 and I've just upgraded to XP Professional to give me IIS, but it is only V5.1.
    I can run .asp files but I can't run .aspx files and also I can't load the ASP.Net Web Site Administration Tool. It starts to load the page but nothing actually happens, the virtual path on the Development Server is /asp.netwebadminfiles.

From what I can see I think I need to upgrade to IIS 6, is this true and how do I do it or is there something really simple that I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

WIP: MCAD
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Have you made sure you have asp.net installed 1.1 or 2.0? I just wonder because you are able to run .asp files but not .aspx

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

You don't need to upgrade. I've got VS 2005 and IIS 5.1 and I can run aspx pages, it did take me a while to get it up and running tho as I ipgraded from VS 2003 and it messed up the IIS settings. The main problem was like what Phil said, you need to make sure it is setup from ASP 2.0

Certifications: Degree, HND, MCP (305, 306, 229)
    WIP: MCDBA
  4. Big Dave

Big Dave New Member

thanks, I've got asp.net 2 installed. You say I need to make sure I've got it set up from ASP 2.0, How do I do this?

WIP: MCAD