ASP.NET web developer - should I get out of IT?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Blade, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Blade

Blade New Member

Hi,

I am a 2 year graduate. I had a job doing C# combined with customising a Microsoft product for clients. This lasted 3 months because I didn't have the skills with the API for that MS product (no training on that either - only on the job training which wasn't enough). After this, I had a job for a marketing company as a .NET developer. Most of the work was with ASP.NET, but also involved some desktop work (used LINQ, C#, VB.NET, SQL Server etc).

With the way the economy is, is IT a profession worth getting into?? There are more jobs for developers than accountants according to Jobserve, but once I am in, a company can make me redundant as they decide to freeze IT projects. Usually the boss (like in my last job) shares the same skillset as me but to a different degree of competency, so he or she would be kept on while I am out. Therefore, maintenance, which may be contractual, can still be carried out. My last job required maintaining and adding features to existing applications (don't know all the details on this) so I guess my boss did this when I left.

This makes me wonder, is IT not the way to have a stable career? What jobs could I do which won't require a trip back to uni, in or not in IT?

Thanks

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

If you like programming, then why would you want to change careers? Every profession is going to have layoffs and instability; no career is going to be 100% stable. There will, however, always be a need for competent programmers, so if you enjoy what you're doing, I say stick with it.