Asking for more information about a job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by buy_my_cookies, Oct 20, 2011.

1. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

Hi all,

Any help people can give is greatly received.

I have seen a job add in the local paper for an IT Assistant it does not give me a lot to go on. Just says to help maintain its hardware and software and give IT support. There is no mention of a salary range either.

What are you thoughts on sending an email asking for more information?

I am thinking about asking

What kind of skills, knowledge and experience would the successful candidate have? Do you see this as a more junior role working with other members of an IT team? Or are you looking for experienced IT professionals?

Could you provide any information on the expected salary range?

Would this be considered a good or bad thing? I’m worried about annoying people but at the same time think it shows you have a genuine interest in the job.

Thanks.

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Roughly salary wise id say, tho dont quote me, it would be between 14 -18k and id say it would be diagnosing problems with users and other technical issues. On saying that the job really should be detailed, thats my pet hate when looking at direct.gov, the descriptions can be very vague. You would need to use common sense , ie if the jobs was in a school etc, then you would be helping teachers and students in a variety of ways, from simple things to pcs, not being sitched on at the mains to software issues.

Asking for extra information surely cant be a bad thing and they should also offer a point of contact if there was any information that you feel was missed out. As its an assistant role, you will be supporting someone, maybe as a team person etc.

The salary should be stated, unless they put the word competititive, which means what they think is the going rate for that job they have not even given full details of.

Only thing i can suggest is if your already in a job, you have nothing to lose, you can ask what you like knowing you have a job already, then when the interview comes along, theres always the question' do you have anything you would like to ask us', then thats your chance. If you know the actual place, then do some research beforehand and ask before if possible.

I always worry about annoying people on the asking for more informations aspect but surely by asking you would get a decent response as im sure no compnay would say ' well what do you think it entails' etc. Surely a job description would be hugely beneficial to both parties.

Id say ask for more information after some research on that actual place thats doing the job, and if you get the interview, ask about career progression maybe and what they would offer to do in helping you get to where you want but without alienating the panel. They are after an IT assistant, but im sure you dont want to be an assistant all your life?? Or do you

Im sure the other good folk on here will pop in soon with more helpful advice

Keep us all posted

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

Thanks,

There is an email address as contact details on the ad. I think I will send a quick email asking "What kind of skills, knowledge and experience would the successful candidate have? Do you see this as a more junior role working with other members of an IT team? Or are you looking for experienced IT professionals?"

This may give me a chance to tweak my CV to meet their needs a little.

Also the ad says patience, commitment and enthusiasm are essential, does asking about the job show enthusiasm? But no patience?

Not sure whether to ask about the salary or not the ad asks to include your current remuneration details I’m not on a great deal atm - 17,800 but I would be willing to drop a few £1000's to get a proper IT job (my job is kind of on the edge of IT/admin) and the new job is a lot closer to home and that’s worth £1500 to me in travel costs. I'm worried that the job is say £14,000 and they see my £17,800 and put me in the bin pile, but if I know that its £14,000 I could somehow show my willing to accept lower then what I’m on in a covering letter.

Or another option is to send an email asking both questions under a completely different email address that they won’t be able to link to my CV, but then they may see it as a good thing if someone wants more information about the job.

As you can see I really want to get this one!

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Seeing as they have an email address, simply ask for a full job description including salary, obviously word it in a more professional manner. I cant see them getting the hump. Try not to down grade your salary, im presuming it said negotiable, so negotiate. You could say your on a bit more than you are and see what they come back at you with etc. I dont think they could ask for proof, but tere are other ways of finding out, so be careful on that one.

If your current salary would keep you goin but in the new job, whilst saving travel money, then surely its a win win ??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

I would agree with the above, absolutely no issue in sending an e-mail requesting a job spec and salary range. If I were thinking about it it's what I'd do.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??