As One door close's another One opens.....

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Tyler D, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Well i had a job interview today,for an ICT Tech post,at a local school/sixth form.

I felt the interview went well enough,but the only thing against me was my lack of experience.

I recieved a phone call from them early this evening,and got the "I'm sorry but we wont be offering you the post". :(

However he continued to say, that i stood out and how i had impressed them during the interview. :biggrin The only thing not in my favour was lack of experience.

He went on to say that they would like to offer me the opportunity to get some work experience working with the IT team on a voluntary basis. :biggrin

I can only give about 1 day a week to this,but will be a great chance for me to build up some "real world experience".

Just thought i would share my bad,and good news with you all.

8)

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Best I can say is commiserations, congrats and good luck.

They must have been impressed to offer you the voluntary position, but don't let them walk all over you!

I've seen cases like this where they started to rely on the 'voluntary' guy a bit too much!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually Tyler, you must have impressed the heck out of them. Usually, you would have just gotten the "I'm sorry, but..." letter and that would have been the end of it. If they are willing to extend themselves and offer you a voluntary position, they must see some potential in you that they want to nurture.

Keep in mind that for them to train you means they have to expend resources in terms of manhours and so forth. No IT department has enough time and people to accomplish all of their task so they don't take on training volunteers lightly. My guess is that they see giving you experience as an investment and perhaps once you get some "hands on", they may find a paying post for you (after all...why would they train you just to have to go to work for someone else?).

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'd definitely second what Harry says. I used to work in a school and I started to do some voluntary IT work in the holidays. It didn't last long as it was basically the Network Admin and me, with a network of 400+ workstations, 90 laptops and 1000+ users. He just didn't get any time to show me anything. He was rode roughshod over I tell thee. Still, at least he was getting paid for it!

Good luck though Tyler, don't let us discourage you. :D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done! Ok, you didn't get the job you were hoping for but if you do some voluntary work for them they can see your potential so when a place comes up they don't have to look far!

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats Tyler, that is an opening whichever way you look at it. If it turns bad you can always leave, but there is a chance that they will see your true potential, something impossible to glean in an interview.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

cheers guys :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats and commiserations! :blink

:biggrin

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Tyler,

I think you have someone that's pretty interested in you. It's extremely rare to have a company not hire you, but still offer you a volunteer position. In many ways finding a volunteer position in a place of employment like a school is very difficult. Not the least of which are the costs incurred by an employer who takes on a volunteer position. They have to account for a volunteer's presence in all their liability insurance, trust you to not abuse/harm their network, and spend considerable money on training because of the time paid employees will have to spend on working with you rather than doing their "real" job.

I tried to volunteer at the local schools here, and although they wanted to use me, they couldn't because of the employees union. That the school IT department is willing to take you on in a volunteer position and spend time and money on training you, speaks volumes to me as to their interest.

Even if, as Harry warned about, they "abuse" your volunteership some you have your foot in the door of the IT world and will be learning every day you work there. To tell the truth I would have gladly put up with being "abused" a little to have been able to put that experience on my resume. I have no doubt that it wouldn't have taken as long for me to find a job if I had.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Congrats Tyler. I have to add my voice to those saying you must have really impressed them. Good luck!

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)