arrrr... was doing cert guide when

Discussion in 'A+' started by YinTakLee, Oct 17, 2007.

1. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

i got a problem, was doing some studyin using certguide was getting onto the bit where it goes on about users and local users

http://www.certiguide.com/apfr/cg_apfr_LocalUsersandGroups.htm

looked on their on my computer and decided to remove some users that werent being used. i did this including the user i was logged onto windows with. Thinking this could be a mistake i recreated one but i might have messed up already. i went to the loo and came back the screen saver had been on and when i moved the mouse windows was asking me to logg on again.

problem! the user i had been using was not there and now the only user i can logg on with is administrator who i dont have the password to. i ask my sis whos computer it is if she knew the pass and she didnt and the person who helped her set up the computer in the first place doesnt remember either!!!

now i cant get back onto the comp the only other user i can logg on with produces a message

"the security log on this system is full. Only the administrator can log on to fix the problem"

is there anyway i can get back on again....??????:oops::oops::oops:

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sometimes, the best learning experiences are the ones we (accidentally) create for ourselves. :oops:

A few things you can do...
    1) Try to hack the local admin password... have you tried password, password1, Password1, 123, your sister's first or last name, etc?
    2) Recover/reset the local admin password - search Google using these keywords to find what you need.
    3) Reinstall the OS... and remember the admin password!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Try login in, windows will come with a message saying have you forgot your password, it will then ask you a question which you should know the answer to as you told windows to ask you it if you did forget your password.

When you have answered it, windows will take you to the users and accounts screen and you'll have to make a new account

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

funnily enough i was thinking i needed some practice on troubleshooting as i was reading through certguide doh

i'll give it a try

thanks dude

5. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Dont flame me; I know you have enough problems, But are'nt they the OLD A+ objectives. You should actualy be looking at the new stuff (when you are back up and running).

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think your right stuPeas, it looks like that guide was created in 2005.

YinTakLee if you are studying that version that was created in 2005 you are studying the wrong stuff the objectives changed in June.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

If the operating system is windows xp home, then there is no Admin password by default, try it if it is, you may be lucky.

WIP: LIFE
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Log on as administrator with a blank password. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is a good reason why you should have both a lab machine and a production machine. Never touch the settings in your production machine when practicing for an exam and always use your lab machine instead. That way, if you hose the lab machine, the worst that will happen is that you blow away the OS and reinstall. That's why I love VMware so much. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

thanks for the replies dudes, much appreciated... yea its an old version of the A+ but i thought i'd get some reading done as im waiting for the latest to arrive through the post, godddamn royal mail. but cheers 'stupeas' bastard :biggrin :oops:

im kinda looking forward to working this one out but yea still going through some options as the windows xp disk my sis's friend use to set up xp is missin so i cant use the repair option to wipe password, thanks 'casper'

tried the blanky pass but its not my day 'jonglory' & 'sparky'

used this thing called 'ebcd' got it downloaded and even got it running on the locked pc but loads of stuff i dont understand yet on it, to advanced for me at his moment. there is this microsoft program which does the job specifically but thats last resort as it cost 15-20 quid.

really apreciate the info guys ill keep you's updated

12. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

whats vmware trip :oops:

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's a virtualization application. You can use this or other similar software to create virtual computers or even a small virtual network of computers inside of one piece of hardware. For instance, I have VMware Workstation 5.5 installed on a Windows XP box and regularly run virtual Debian, Ubuntu, and Windows Server 2003 machines when I need to do labs or capture screenshots for whatever I'm writing at the time. The virtual machine shares physical resources with the host so you have to have a boat load of RAM, speedy CPU, and all that. Here's the link to their site so you can read up if you want:

http://www.vmware.com/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

As a very last resort, you could remove the hard drive, install it on another machine, transfer any important data from it. Put the hard drive back in the original machine, reinstall windows, then transfer data back across via a network or other means.

Bit extreme I know, but is always an option.

WIP: LIFE