Arranging Interviews

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Markyboyt, May 28, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Something which has just crossed my mind and maybe others so I thought I would ask it.
    When I start applying for jobs, how do I arrange interviews? by this I mean if a potential employer wishes to interview me, are they likely to just ring with a date and a time or what? the reason I ask is working full time obviously its hit or miss whether i can get time off at short notice as it would depend who else is off that day.
    Do employers tend to be a little flexible with arranging interviews, I mean ideally a saturday or evening would be easiest option but im not sure it is likely to be an available one. I dont mind taking 1/2 days holidays or a days holiday if need be but as I say this is dependant on staff levels.
    Im sure this must be an issue for everybody who works full time but is looking for another job so there must be a simple answer

WIP: A+
  2. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

theyve always done interviews after work for me as i cant book time off work

mind you i finish at 3:30 wed thurs and 3:00 on fridays suppose it might be different if you work till half 5 every night

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

various on the company interviewing, if 9-5 then, they may be able to invite you a tad earlier, say 8ish or a tad later, say 6ish depending on the amount of people they are interviewing, which also makes a big diff, as if its a large amount, then, they would more likely have a strict timetable that they would need to stick to.

Obviously, when the time comes, ask them, and you'll find out if they are flexible or not, you may need to book time off work (flexi / annual leave or whatever), but if that is the case, pencil in a time and date with your interviewer, confirm leave with current employer asap and then contact the interviewer for confirmation or re-allocation.

Hope this helps.

4. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I finish at 5 but getting out can range from 5 to 7 depending what goes wrong, if i absolutely have to be away (as would be the case) then I make sure anything that might go wrong is monitored and kept over if need be.

WIP: A+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Some are flexible; some are not. It all depends on the company.

Typically, if I've got an interview, I'll schedule time off. Then again, I've rarely had to do several interviews before finding employment, so I dunno how I'd handle things if that were the case.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You may have to see if you go to an interview in your lunch breaks, some companies may interview you on days when they are not so busy.

I have had a couple of interviews on Saturday as there was no office staff to disrupt anything.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I've had to pretend I had a dentist appointment or doctors in the past so I could get a couple of hours off work to attend an interview. I don't particularly like lying to an employer but sometimes it is difficult to get time off at such short notice.

I would try and arrange the interview at a time when it doesn't disrupt your work day, or get a half a days holiday if you can give enough notice. Otherwise you may have to lie about something that you need time off for, but don't do it frequently. You'll quickly run out of reasons for needing time off and you may genuinely need to use those reasons in the near future!

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I'm having trouble with this as well, getting time off.

I have had 2 interviews in the last week, took a morning off for each. Got to the second round of interviews for both, but struggling to get any more time off. I'm one of three "techies" in my company, and the rule is that 2 out of 3 must be present at all times.

I've told the recruitment agents involved that I can't have any more time off in the nest few weeks, and I can only do interviews at the start or end of the day, like 8AM or 5:30 PM. it hasn't gone down well.

It's part of the reason that I want to move jobs, the fact that it's really hard to arrange time off, and if one of the 3 techies left, I would probably have all arranged holidays put on hold.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you drive? If so phone in and say your car has broken down and explain you are waiting for the AA. Used this one a few times for interviews. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I always book time off work as I like to be relaxed and fully prepared. Best wishes:) and keep on plugging away.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Yep this is my approach too - there nothing like being fully prepered after having a good nights kip!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...