are you to old

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mof, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

with the flood of people into it, does that make it a young person career or can the more mature person still find a place in the industry what age would be concidered to late.

WIP: C++ and A+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

No age is too late
    You will only ever be too old for someone, never for everyone

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You are only too old when your are at your own funeral!

I have my bus-pass, but manage to have a successful career.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've known people who have gotten into IT in their 50s. I don't think any age is "too late".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

cheers im 46 just wondered

6. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Nearly

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

42. Oh...wrong answer. I agree with the others, mainly because I'll turn 54 in July (shaddup, Michael). Strictly speaking, I don't work in "IT" since I'm a technical writer, but I'm expanding my skill sets into the area of Information Architecture (or trying to, anyway). I'm studying the Python programming language on a very elementary level and have the plan to learn a number of technologies related to web design, architecture, and development.

I haven't run into an age issue at any stage of my job hunts (I'm currently looking for work, as my last contract job decided not to renew with me). In fact, I get calls and emails from recruiters all the time (and amazingly, some even have viable jobs that suit my skill sets).

Don't let being in your 40s stand in the way of your goals. Develop a plan and pursue it. Good luck.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Okay... Dad. :p :biggrin

(least I didn't call you "Gramps", like some of the "kids" on here could!) :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I blame it on the media myself, I think the image of someone working in IT potrays a young individual who is just coming out of school or at college and is seen to be a bit of hacker. IMHO8):dry

I don't think age is the problem but the work life balance see the link below from Tech rebublic:-

TechRepublic survey reveals most IT pros concerned with work/life balance

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Agreed...
    It's a mind-set and perspective. If you think you're too old then you're right! Never accept your age has beaten you. Instead, sell yourself on being more mature and able to make wiser decisions 8)

11. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

yes I'm still trying! I start a new job tomorrow I registered with a temp agency. It's admin at the moment but I'm hoping it's going to lead to IT. Ageism does exist but it can't be proved (I've been short listed twice only to lose out). But I'm not giving up and hope that being out in the 'big wide world' I can find something that suits. I worked on the checkouts in a big supermarket for 3 years and when I left yesterday, everyone said wow Anne you are persistant. That's my message and I hope I can post what's happening to me from time to time, even if it's admin. Wish me luck. :D

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Network +
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

i see my age as a great benefit, many years working in just about every level and aspect of business.

It's a bonus not a drawback!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)