ARE YOU F****** kidding me???!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IThurts, Apr 29, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

just another thing please...

I remember when i had my old HD that it had a seperate partiton within it (poss system files/mbr?). When i transfered my backup onto the new drive, i only now have 1 partition which is obviously my backup. Is it important that the new drive does not have this old parition? Im pretty sure the partition held important data..i hadnt put it there, it was there when i bought the machine. It had around 2GB of data on it but i wasnt sure what it was at all..

any ideas? and is it an issue that on my new harddrive which i now use that the said 2GB partition is no longer there?

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

When you backed up with Acronis did you select the extra partition? It might just be a recovery partition.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

the only option was for me to select the c:, so thas what i picked.Im sure my query has nothing to do with anything, but just wondering.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If the drives work in another computer, then it's probably the fault of the controller on the mobo. Simple as that. :) Which is what my gut tells me, since it's unlikely that a second drive would be similarly bad.

Could be the PSU... I've seen flakier things happen because of a substandard PSU. Wouldn't be my first thing to check, though.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

guys just out of interest..and because im an ignoramous, My sata controller on my mobo...If i have 2 drives and 6 sata controller slots in my mobo...how many cables (the red ones with black ends) should i be using...ie: how many controller ports should be in use??As at the minute each HD i have (2) are plugged into seperate controllers...is this ok? Should there be 1 cable going into the sata mobo controller for each hard drive? im pretty sure thats right.

I have changed the cable from the sata HD > sata controller on the mobo (red cable with black ended connectors)...see if that makes a difference.? I have also moved the cable to a different controller slot on the mobo.
    i have left the cable in that says "sata3" on it which is inside my HD.(goes from HD to power suppy)...as i dont feel necessary to change this...could be wrong?

6. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

im no expert asu can tell..lol...but if i have 2 HDs and BOTH are using cables going into 2 seperate controller ports on the mobo using the same main controller, but im only getting errors from 1 HD..? Surely this cant be the controller in that case? Or did you mean the specfic PORT on the controller the error prone HD/cable is going into?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Might be something messed up on the mobo itself. Who knows, a bad trace, perhaps? Or maybe the controller chip is flaking out only for that port. Do you have a spare port to use? Again, it's just a gut instinct thing...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea like i say, i have one controller but within it has 6 ports. So i have tried using a different port within that controller...i was using number 2 i think, iv moved it to num 4. Done a defrag last night too and changed the cable. Left the PC on all night to do its defrag and didnt get any errors throughout the night.

Seems to me that i get the error when im doing my day to day tasks of web sites/net surfn/opening random folders etc etc. I notice that on AVGs daily scan it tells you which files have been "changed" or "modified" my main sys files are almost always on there but i assume this is normal ie: files like kernel.dll or whatever its called etc. I noticed though that my MBR partiton is on there too now and another which i forget now. Im pretty sure this is due to the fact that i have reformatted and now the small partition which was once there is no longer there. Anyway, will see how things go with my new cables/controller port.

Thanks for the help...always appreciated.