ARE YOU F****** kidding me???!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IThurts, Apr 29, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

:x im not a happy person at all.

As most of you know i have replaced the old drive with the new, i have restored my backup and everything was fine and i was happy.

I regularly check the event log for any errors etc...So last night out of nowhere comes event id 55??????

"the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run chkdsk utility on the volume c:":eek:
    This **** is pissing me off. I ran chkdsk /f last night and amongst phase 2 it stated something like
    "Deleting index entry Crtrec.vtf in index $I30 of file 181417"...

Does anyone know what the feck im supposed to do now? I have changed the drive and restored the backup. ITS A NEW DRIVE!

I have another drive as stated in prior threads, could it be that because my second drive is mounted onto the c: that the event viewer is seeing this also as the c:?? and possibly that the second drive is corrupted?
    so vexed!!help.
    I have checked googlebbut cant find anything definitive.
    I havent run a defrag in ages so will do that tonight - could that be causing the issue?
    Is there a possible hotfix that remedies this issue?

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A couple of questions

Are you using a new cable for the drive?

Is it possible your CMOS is corrupt are did you reset it the last time?

Maybe try mounting the drive to another letter and see what happens.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. greenbrucelee

this is something I have copied from another support forum to do with id55 event error hope it helps

That event almost always indicates some sort of hardware or driver issue
    with the disk subsystem. Power resetting the computer probably temporarily
    resets the affected component, but once it gets to normal operating mode
    you are back to where you started.

This is not something to be ignored. The VERY FIRST THING you need to do
    is to make sure you are getting GOOD nightly backups. And it is not a bad
    idea to retain your backup tapes for a longer period temporarily until the
    issue is resolved. The reason I say this is because I have seen cases like
    this (just a few) in which some of the data on disk was corrupted and that
    corrupted data was being backed up to tape (or the underlying disk issues
    did not allow the data to be backed up correctly).

Next, you need to make sure you have a CURRENT backup. I recommend backing
    up important components like Exchange databases using a file copy after you
    dismount the stores.

Then, run some sort of diagnostics for your disk subsystem or have your
    hardware vendor do that.

Next, heed the warning of the event log entries and run chkdsk, BUT be sure
    to make sure you have one of these hotfixes on first (whichever applies):
    831374 or 831375. You may have to call Microsoft and open a "hotfix" case
    to get the one that is applicable.

You might also need to reinstall the disk controller driver, or install a
    newer version of it. Also check with your vendor for firmware updates.
    And if you have a spare disk controller of the same exact model, tryin
    gswapping them out.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Perhaps it's just the disk controller on your motherboard that is failing, and you've still got usable drives.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the responses....appreciated.

Can someone guide me in the direction of HOW to update the disk controller driver...?
    I have no idea how to do this or where to look for it etc.

I have to google "disk dubsystem" because i have no idea what this is either..

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Few things to try:

*Change the cable (as already suggested)
    *Patch Windows
    *Check for driver updates for your motherboard.
    *Click on start>run and then type sfc /scannow This will check the Windows system files for you.

*What kinda drive is it? If it is IDE try it without any other devices on the cable (if there is any). If this doesn’t work try it on a different IDE channel or SATA port (if its a SATA drive)
    *If none of this works perhaps put in the original drive and format it and then put a clean install of Windows on it. If you start getting errors then it does look like a hardware issue, if not then there may be issue with the Windows install and this has been carried over with the image you have restored.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. greenbrucelee

doing the disk controller will be similar to flashing the bios, go to the manufactures website there will probably be some instruction on how to apply the update on there. It'll usually be somesort of .zip file.

Just make sure you have a full backup incase of cockups.

8. Sparky

It should be listed in device manager under IDE/SATA controllers or something like that. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

cheers fellas.

Could it be the way the drives are arranged internally also?

I have 2 drives as mentioned...both sata drives. when i installed the second drive i hooked it with a seperate (red) cable up to the motherboard and the sata cable (the one marked with "SATA6") i just plugged into the second drive. Everything i feel is how it should be as the drive was recognised no problem when i first installed. Im just thinking if its due to a specific way it needs to be arranged?

Excuse my none tech terms.

10. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Change the cable...? as in change the sata "seat" its in atm? Like my 1st drive is on sata2 and the 2nd drive in sata 6. You mean change the first to say sata 3 and the 2nd drive to sata 4 essentially using a different sata cable? Or change the actual red cable that goes into the mobo? guess i could do both of these...?
    sorry im so ignorant:cry:

11. Sparky

You should be fine mate, are the two SATA drives hard drives or is on of them a DVD drive?

12. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

No both are hard drives, the dvd drive came to me installed on the primary ide if i remember correctly.
    I have 6 sections allowed for sata drives. my dvd drive is on the primary IDE as i remember and i have a sata HD on sata section 2, and another sata HD on sata section 6.....why do you ask?

13. Sparky

Just thought you could swap the cable from the DVD drive onto the HD to see if that helps.

Do you have any spare sata cables? Worth a shot... 8)

14. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea. The problem is the error is very inconsistent...it comes maybe 2hrs after the pc is on, maybe 1hr maybe never, but its been there once or twice and thats enough for me as a warning.

Like i said, i have 6 sata slots...and 6 cables all labelled with "SATA1" "SATA2" etc etc...so i got the spare cables, and i should have the spare "red" cables that plug into the mobo too. Its "safe" to just take my primary hd out of SATA 2 slot and simply plug it into SATA 3 i assume...? It wont blow up will it...:eek:

Also sparky- when you say spare sata cables...are you refering to the ones that go into the mobo (red ones) or the ones labelled "sata1" "sata2" etc...or both?

15. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I think he just means do you have any other SATA cables other than the ones that are currently plugged into your hard drives. It's probably worth connecting some different cables to eliminate that the problem you are experiencing is not to do with the SATA cables.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  16. Sparky

Yeah, try swapping the HD into SATA 3 and see what happens. Is there only one cable going into the HD? Just wondering if you have a seperate molex power connector, this was used on early SATA devices.

If you only have one red cable going into the HD then you should be ok to unplug it and plug in a cable from another SATA port (SATA 3 in this case)

17. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Oh ok, if thats all was meant then :

18. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

both my SATA HD's have two connections that need to be made. One is the red cable that goes from the HD to the mobo. The other is the one that is labelled "sata2" (at the minute) and that goes into the HD to whereever the other end goes to..lol.
    both of my harddrives are connected in this manner...ie: primary HD has 1 red cable going to mobo/1 "SATA2" cable, and the other HD also has 1 red cable going to mobo/1 "SATA6" cable connected. So 4 cables are being used in all.

Is it a problem that i have 1 red cable going to the mobo for the 1st HD and another red cable going to the mobo for the 2nd HD?

19. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

.....the power supply! :biggrin

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  20. Sparky

What he said :biggrin